Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen gland in groin

(3 Posts)
BonnieBlueButler Tue 11-Feb-14 13:38:23

Hi,

My 4 year old DD has a swollen gland in her groin on the left side. We first noticed it just before the new year. We took her to the doctors who said it was related to her eczema. She had some eczema patches at the back of her knees at the time. We were told not to worry and that it should subside within 6 weeks.

Over the last 6 weeks the gland has gone down and then swollen up again a number of times. Sometimes it's very noticeable, at other times it isn't visible at all. The eczema patches are still there, despite us trying all the usual treatments, but the patches aren't too bad or infected.

I've made another appointment but I'm just looking for some reassurance. I don't like swellings like this, but am taking the fact that it comes and goes as a good sign. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance.

PJ67 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:03:17

Hi. My son had a swollen gland in his neck when he was about the same age. It was clearly visible when he turned his head to the side and would be more noticeable if he had a cold or something like that. I think they sometimes come up and never quite return to their normal size. I can feel lymph nodes in my groin that I got checked out years ago and they have never gone away. Best to get it checked out but sure it's nothing to worry about.

basia2 Sat 15-Feb-14 03:22:05

I noticed one on my son when he was about a year old. Mentioned it to the pediatrician at check-up (it was gone by then). He said it was very normal, if the child has some sort of infection or even a diaper rash. It is simply the body's way of fighting infection. We all know the glands in the neck swell up when we're sick, but apparently other glands can too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now