Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How would I know if DS's hand is broken?

(5 Posts)
Cringechilli Mon 10-Feb-14 21:15:42

Not sure whether to take DS to doctor or try and get an X-ray tomorrow. Any help appreciated...

When I picked DS up from school today, his teacher told me that he had hurt his hand. The school clearly didn't think it was very bad because they didn't phone me, they just mentioned it at pickup. DS is 7. He apparently hurt it at playtime but didn't tell the supervisor because he did not know who she was. He doesn't really know how he hurt it - couple of small grazes on knuckles and it hurts when he plants his hand to push to get up and he can hardly write. He can hold a book carefully to read. He keeps whimpering when he does something to it, but if he is still, he doesn't complain about it. I gave him nurofen and put frozen veg on, neither seems to have helped much. He was pushed over today by a friend during a game so I think this is probably how he did it, perhaps it started to hurt more later because he is not completely sure that's when it happened. It doesn't appear swollen or bruised, all you can see are the little grazes which really are small. I'm not sure what to do!

Sirzy Mon 10-Feb-14 21:17:31

The only way you can know is to get it x-rayed.

Hope it is ok

Cringechilli Mon 10-Feb-14 21:37:04

Thanks
I hope it magically heals overnight.
Do you go to the GP to arrange an X-ray?

Sirzy Mon 10-Feb-14 21:42:14

GP would just send you to A and E or minor injuries (some have xray others dont)

phoolani Mon 10-Feb-14 21:44:39

I'd just go to a&e/minor injuries. DH broke his spine when he was a kid and only found out 30 years later after an x-ray for something completely unrelated - so definitely worth getting the x-ray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now