Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A week of headaches and nausea followed by six nose bleeds today. What is this?

(24 Posts)
AskBasil Mon 10-Feb-14 20:17:27

Anyone know?

DS 14 has it

Elderberri Mon 10-Feb-14 20:22:39

its a trip to A and E.

Those are red flag warning symptoms.

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 10-Feb-14 20:24:20

I second Elderberri. Sounds like something that should be checked.

I hope he's OK.

LyndaCartersBigPants Mon 10-Feb-14 20:28:38

Get down to A and E as soon as possible please.

AskBasil Mon 10-Feb-14 20:45:06

Ta.
Will do NHS Direct check

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 10-Feb-14 20:47:09

You need to take him to A&E really. I know it's scary for you, but he needs to be checked out.

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Mon 10-Feb-14 21:26:10

Don't bother with NHS direct. A&E. Good luck

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Feb-14 17:28:33

Just wondering how your son is, AskBasil?

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:03:25

Oh thanks all.

I got an appointment with the out of hours doctor and he thought that the nose bleeds were the result of not having gone out for a week and just being under the weather. Also that the headache may well be the beginning of a migraine problem - he's given him a prescription for migraine medicine as he says that if you start taking it early, it sometimes clears up completely whereas if you allow it to take hold it becomes much harder to cure.

lougle Tue 11-Feb-14 21:05:29

I'd be concerned by the thought of a first migraine being a week long and then 6 nose bleeds in one day, tbh.

Can your DS describe the headaches? Were they specific in their location, or general?

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Feb-14 21:07:55

He needs his blood pressure checked and a proper neuro check too.

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:08:25

They were at the front of his head.

The doctor did advise an eye test as well, so he's got one booked.

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:09:27

The doctor did his BP.

What's a neuro check 3littlefrogs? Why do you suggest that?

chosenone Tue 11-Feb-14 21:12:31

Could it be sinus ? Ive just had similar without the nose bleeds though. The doc thinks it is a nasty virus and the migraine s are actually sinus headaches. ...but i have been referred for an MRI scan...if he continues or worsens I recommend A &E too. Hope hes ok

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Feb-14 21:12:58

It is a general check of his nervous system, including looking in his eyes, checking his pupils, testing his reflexes and the strength of his arms and legs, sensitivity to heat/cold/sensation/stimuli.
It is a fairly standard basic check for anyone with headache, dizziness, visual problems.

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Feb-14 21:13:59

What is his vision/balance like?

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Tue 11-Feb-14 21:16:14

Why would not going out make your nose bleed? Do go elsewhere if things continue. Hope he is ok.

3littlefrogs Tue 11-Feb-14 21:18:00

Indeed. Not a cause of nosebleeds in my nearly 40 years of nursing.

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Feb-14 21:27:24

I think you need to get a second opinion, Basil. I trained as a paediatric nurse for a while and this sounds as though it's something that needs checking out thoroughly. I'd be pushy if I were you, best to err on the side of caution. Is your GP good?

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:31:19

His vision and balance are fine and he didn't have any other nosebleeds after last night.

If he has any more though, I'm taking him back.

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:32:10

I don't know if the GP is any good tbh.

I know he's v. good on MS as a friend of mine has it, but not sure about anything else.

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Feb-14 21:35:25

He probably knows his stuff if he's good with MS patients so it may be a good idea to go and have a chat.

How's your son today?

AskBasil Tue 11-Feb-14 21:41:05

He's fine today - still got a bit of a cold, but went to school and did all normal stuff.

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 11-Feb-14 21:46:26

Ah, that's good smile It could be a sinus infection from his cold, it's best to get it checked though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now