Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mouth breathing - appointment with ent.

(13 Posts)
dingalong Mon 10-Feb-14 12:49:45

Dd 4 had an appointment with salt (problems with pronouncing s (all letters after s skipped) eg school sounds like sool. The salt said it looked like dd was a 'mouth breather'. I'd never heard of it but another mum filled me in. She doesn't close her mouth (sleeps with it open) and says she can't breathe through her nose.

I've got a referral to ent consultant but just wanted to know what to expect. Doctor just sent referral letter but as I was there with ds (2) I didn't get a chance to ask doctor much. Is there anything else I should do (dd is fine with doctors etc), will they advise of any treatment eg salt therapy, orthodontist if needed.

I hadn't heard of it before so just want to make sure I ask the right questions and get the appropriate treatment for dd.

Sillybillybob Mon 10-Feb-14 12:52:19

Sorry I can't offer any information but I'm really interested by this - I only breathe through my mouth - if I'm forced to breathe through my nose I panic because it feels like I'm not getting enough air in. I didn't know it was a "thing" though it does make sense that I wouldn't be the only person in the country!

No idea.I breath through my mouth (as does ds I THINK),I always have and when I saw my GP when I was around 10 he said I had swollen teranodes (?) and only 5% clear one side,10%the other.I was given a nasal inhaler and that was it.I stopped using it years ago because it was horrible and went straight to my head.

So I have no idea what they would do,if anything.

Ooh,just read up on it and it explains my overbite and crowded teeth blush Looks like they do tend to do things now

mawbroon Mon 10-Feb-14 13:18:11

DS1 was a mouth breather, it was starting to affect the shape of his lower jaw because it develops differently if the mouth is open all the time.

When he was around 5yo, I discovered he had tongue tie. The tongue tie had also sculpted a high palate which restricted the space for his nostrils hence the mouth breathing. The whole mid section of his face was underdeveloped (not that you would notice unless you know what you are looking for). He also had ear trouble for the same reason - restricted tubes.

We had him revised and then he started early orthodontic treatment at 7yo and was given braces to expand his narrow palate and night time headgear to "bring out" the flat mid section of his face. After a few months, he stopped mouth breathing as his nostrils were opened up and the ear trouble stopped too.

I had to search for a dentist who understood all this. Our NHS dentist just shrugged when I mentioned the high palate.

You also say she has speech problems. Could tongue tie be a possibility? How did feeding go - both milk and solids. Any gastric problems or sleep issues? DS1 snored and had bouts of apnoea.

dingalong Mon 10-Feb-14 13:45:13

I breastfed her for 18 months but it was so painful for the first 3/4 months. She can stick out her tongue. She has a gap between front teeth (not sure if lip tie). Just wondered who diagnosed your son mawbroon? Was it a dentist or ent consultant ?
What gastric problems are you taking about ?

dingalong Mon 10-Feb-14 16:21:09

Meant to add that she sticks her tongue out a lot when concentrating too. Anyone else have that ?

mawbroon Mon 10-Feb-14 16:30:32

A gap between the front teeth is almost certainly a lip tie. Almost every lip tie is accompanied by a tongue tie, usually a posterior one. These are the ones that get missed because very often the tongue looks normal.

DS1 could stick out his tongue, he could lift it really high and had no speech issues. His tongue was severely tied at the back affecting his swallow pattern which has a knock on effect on the entire digestive system.

I diagnosed it myself after digging and digging for information. He developed reflux around age 5yo or rather, he started verbalising about reflux at that age, but I am fairly certain that he had been suffering for much longer. He also had allergies and intolerences which are very common in kids with ties. His reflux disappeared after revision and as I posted earlier, the structural problems are being addressed.

Have a look at your DDs palate, there might be some answers there!!

Sadly, most HCPs have NO IDEA about any of this. Trust me, I tried explaining it to several HCPs and they all poo pooed me. Finally, I found a dentist 200miles away who understood all this and revised the ties with laser and referred us to a friend of his locally who is doing all the orthodontic work for ds1.

smaths Mon 10-Feb-14 17:09:18

Watching with interest as I'm fairly sure dd1 (2.5) has the same thing. She has speech difficulties, mouth breathes and has a lip tie/large gap between front teeth. I'm fairly sure she has posterior tongue tie but have never had it diagnosed. MIL is retired dentist and said she doesn't have tongue tie, but when I asked about posterior tongue tie she said she'd never heard of it. She also has visibly enormous tonsils and snores, she can't even breathe through her nose at night. I want to get her looked at but don't really know how to start - I mean the GP is probably the first port of call, but she won't open her mouth to be looked at and is very shy of strangers, I can't see her letting anyone look at her tonsils, let alone adenoids without sedation!

mawbroon Mon 10-Feb-14 17:12:50

I thought that ds1 had enormous tonsils. Actually, his tonsils were normal, but I could see them in their entirety when he opened his mouth because the back of his tongue was tethered down.

Since revision, his tongue sits way higher up at the back and I can't even see his tonsils any more without a depressor.

Not surprised at all to hear of a dentist who had never heard of posterior tongue tie.

You need to seek out the professionals who have taken an interest in this. And just to add that DS1 had his first revision done by an "expert" who didn't do it properly!!!

dingalong Mon 10-Feb-14 17:37:40

Thanks mawboon, lost my original message. She has a lip tie, but can't clearly see anything else.

sandycloud Mon 10-Feb-14 18:05:55

Hi. I am a SALT but is a long time since I referred to ent now as my job has changed. I referred a boy once who had enlarged adenoids which were removed. His speech sounded as if he had a bad cold and he snored. He also always seemed to have colds. As far as I know he was much better afterwards. Guess they may look at tonsils too.

dingalong Mon 10-Feb-14 20:37:56

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope we can get it sorted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now