Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup + chest infection

(5 Posts)
afrikat Sun 09-Feb-14 22:01:35

My 19 week old lb has had cold symptoms since Friday and this morning seemed to be having difficulty breathing - it was v laboured and wheezy. We took him to the urgent care unit and they sent us to the pediatrics ward where they diagnosed a chest infection and croup. We were told to take him home but call them if we felt worried in the next 24 hours and / or his breathing worsened.
Well I am constantly worried! His breathing still sounds really bad and I can't lie him down - my husband and I have taken turns holding him all day or it gets even worse. I don't want to go back to hospital tho if the illnesses are just running their course and I am being a panicked mum.
After a few hours of seeming particularly distressed he has asleep on my chest just now and I don't know what to do!

longtallsally2 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:07:18

You poor soul. I remember how frightening croup is - and that was without a chest infection.

The ward said to call them if you were worried, and you are worried, so do give them a ring. 19 weeks is v. young - they may want you to take him in to keep an eye on him.

BeaWheesht Sun 09-Feb-14 23:21:34

Lets face it being a panicked mum isn't the worst thing in the world but being a complacent one might be. Call the ward.

longtallsally2 Mon 10-Feb-14 08:16:57

Hi Afrikat

How is your little one this morning?

afrikat Mon 10-Feb-14 09:51:26

Hi thanks for the messages. He is doing a bit better. My DH and I took turns sitting up with him all night but he slept quite well and is napping now. Still sick but hopefully over the worst of it.
This is the beginning of a lifetime of worry isn't it??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now