Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blonde / White Hair New Born

(10 Posts)
Jade1982 Sun 09-Feb-14 10:07:59

Hi, we have a beautiful baby boy who is 5 days old, he was born with a full head of white/blonde hair, very fair eyelashes and eyebrows. Our first son was born with a full head of black hair. The midwives, Doctors, family and friends have all commented (in a positive way) of how unusual this this. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so did there babies hair stay the same or did it change colour? Both myself and husband are mousy brown.

Many thanks

Twinsplusonesurprise Sun 09-Feb-14 18:40:22

No exp but he sounds gorgeous! Congrats.

sisterofmercy Sun 09-Feb-14 19:06:34

My cousin did but she ended up with (nice) mousy brown hair like the rest of us in her teens. I imagine your two children look very beautiful together...

mawbroon Mon 10-Feb-14 16:59:13

Not a full head of hair, but very very light, so much so that you couldn't see his eyebrows.

He's 8yo now and pretty dark haired, he will probably end up as dark as DH and me. or rather how we were before we started greying

Willthisworknow Tue 11-Feb-14 21:57:08

Yes ours did and we kept getting the comments on how unusual. Then he went bald and grew back slightly reddish. Now he's mousey blonde. Enjoy the blonde bombshell

Jade1982 Wed 12-Feb-14 01:02:52

Many thanks for all your replies. I hope the this doesn't sound to bizarre but the midwife came today and commented as others have on how blonde/white and the amount of hair. I asked her did she think he could be albino because every time you look up newborn white hair it brings up mountains of information on albinism. She said she was fairly sure he wasn't and basically dismissed the comment. Am I being paranoid? He has allot of hair for a week old baby, the hair is mainly white/blonde, eyelashes are the same. His awareness and eye contact are fantastic but there is no one else in our families who has ever had white/blonde hair at birth?

Stressedtothehilt Wed 12-Feb-14 10:32:24

Are you still in hospital? If so ask the doctors opinion. Albino children are usually very pale skinned as well. If you are concerned then ask. Mum knows best! It may be just a quirk in the genes but it may not and you will worry about if you don't ask

DeWe Wed 12-Feb-14 13:29:00

True albino would have the pink eyes too, I think.

Me and dsis were like that. I was white blond, but now a fair brown if that makes sense. Dsis was really dark, but has lightened. Surprisingly little difference now. Db was red and hasn't changed much.
I thought it was quite common though, I've known a few.

crunchyfrog Wed 12-Feb-14 15:34:57

My DS1 did and now at 8 still has pure white hair and very pale skin. The MW was so surprised by him, she had never seen anything like him before.

He's striking!

He had extreme photo-sensitivity as a toddler/ small child and needed to wear dark glasses for a few years, but it has settled and now he only needs normal sunglasses in bright sunlight. He was investigated for albinism at 4 years as part of a battery of tests for other things - he has autism and allergies. He isn't albino, but it took a bunch of tests to figure that out! Very pale skin can be sensitive - DS1's first allergy was to nappies!

Congratulations on your baby, he sounds gorgeous.

Sheldonswhiteboard Wed 12-Feb-14 15:37:18

DP has white blond hair, he is dark blond now. I was born with jet black hair with eyebrows to match, I am now dark blond (still have black eyebrows though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now