Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Threadworm

(5 Posts)
Lottiegal Fri 07-Feb-14 20:38:30

We had a letter from school stating some children had thread worm. I think
My son might now have it, has anyone's child had it? What are the tell tale signs? I'm going to treat us all anyway to be sure. Should he stay away from other children while being treated?

PuppyMonkey Fri 07-Feb-14 20:40:28

Threadworms tablet from the chemist - one dose all gone. Wash all bedding and make sure you drum home the message about washing hands etc. it's no biggie honest.

PuppyMonkey Fri 07-Feb-14 20:43:14

Sorry meant to say the telltale sign would be your DS being awake all night crying because he's got a sore bottom. You can sometimes see little white worms on underwear. They come out at night. confused

exexpat Fri 07-Feb-14 20:44:53

They are extremely common in children and often symptomless, apart from possible itching at night. I read somewhere that up to half of children under 10 have them at any given time shock but most people don't realise because they don't notice any symptoms. My DCs (and I) have had them several times.

Treatment is very easy (one pill or dose of medicine) and there is no need to stay away from anyone else. Try to drum in messages about handwashing after using the toilet, not scratching his bottom, keeping nails short etc. NHS advice here. Upside: they are harmless, and apparently minor parasite infections like this can actually be good for the immune system.

Elibean Sat 08-Feb-14 11:48:05

No, he doesn't need to stay away from other children. Don't share towels or bed linen, keep nails short and do lots of handwashing - but really very common and easy to get rid of.

The first time I suspected some (never seen any proof shock) I was pregnant and obsessive and washed everything in sight. Now, if I have concerns, I change and wash bedding and towels, fresh pants and pjs every night for a bit, nag about hand washing, and dole out Ovex. Repeat two weeks later (important).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now