Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone's child get Viral Hives?

(14 Posts)
PookBob Fri 07-Feb-14 20:28:02

My 2 yr old dd suffers with viral hives every time she has a bug (cold, sore throat etc).

They cover her entire body and I find them really distressing to look at, more distressing than dd finds them!

DD is currently on day 4 of some kind of bug and has gone to bed with her face swollen and 90% covered in hives! Hives have been progressing all over her body for the past 4 days.

As she is so young I am reluctant to give her antihistamines, and I don't like the extreme drowsiness they cause. But should I be? Would it help her fight the virus at all?

Does anyone have any experience of this? Will she grow out of it?

Badvoc Fri 07-Feb-14 20:31:02

Yep!
Both my dc get them.
(Pt hey both have asthma so I dint know if it's related)
I do give piriton or similar if they are bothering the dc.
They won't help her fight the virus but they will stop the itching.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 07-Feb-14 20:31:57

I don't have any experience of viral hives but there are safe antihistamines for babies and toddlers. You need to ask your GP. My 15 mo gets hives sometimes - not sure from what exactly - and when they flare up we give her antihistamines prescribed by her paediatrician. They won't help fight the virus but they will help with the swelling and discomfort.

PookBob Fri 07-Feb-14 20:45:11

Thank you for replying, it is such a relief that others have experienced this.

Badvoc, maybe asthma is relevant as my dd was very poorly as a baby and had a collapsed lung and has been left with scarred lungs. I was told she had a much greater risk of being diagnosed with asthma.

Do you need a prescription for piriton?

PookBob Fri 07-Feb-14 22:16:20

Anyone else?

LauraPashley Fri 07-Feb-14 22:42:53

Not anywhere near as severe sounding as yours, but my dd aged 2 recently suffered from this, she was only getting on hive at a time though, although they were very big, say the size of a £2 coin at least, mainly on her face. Gp said it was most likely a response to a virus, and to give Piriton (free on minor ailments at boots) if they were bothering her. Lasted about 2 weeks after the virus and haven't come back, but apparently it will happen most likely whenever she gets a viral illness.

LauraPashley Fri 07-Feb-14 22:43:19

ONE hive at a time!

Badvoc Sat 08-Feb-14 07:03:14

No you can get it at any pharmacy.
Hope she feels better soon x

Badvoc Sat 08-Feb-14 07:04:03

Any pharmacy will have piriton

charitymum Sat 08-Feb-14 07:16:01

My daughter had this for years. And a red rash that looked like I'd beaten her up and occasionally swelling eyes.

Piriton was a great relief. It doesn't matter how long she takes it she won't build up resistance. Doctor can write a prescription so you can get it for free.

If it carries on ask if they would consider Simgulaire. Prescription only. DD used to take when she poorly and she then didn't get hives. Not all doctors know the research.

DD has now broadly outgrown it.

PookBob Sat 08-Feb-14 08:05:00

Thank you so much, that's all really helpful.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 08-Feb-14 08:14:01

Yes, dc2 (2yrs) gets a rash every time he's ill- he's got one now. I didn't realise he could have antihistamine, I'll look into that today. thanks

He also had a reaction to his MMR at 13 months- he got a mild form of measles, which looked very much like his usual viral rash.

I find it very distressing but I don't think it really bothers him at all.

snoggle Sat 08-Feb-14 08:23:45

Yes, but not as bad as yours. We give piriton and were advised to do so when he was only 1. It works in the hives, and the drowsiness isn't a bad thing if the itch and irritation is keeping them awake- by the time he wakes up they are often much better

PookBob Sat 08-Feb-14 17:16:59

Ok, DD has been to the doctor today. I showed him pictures of the hives she gets at night and he said to give piriton alongside cal pol etc. he thinks she is at the tail end of whatever virus she has which is good news.

As an aside, my doctors surgery was open as normal today, when I thought I would have to go through OOH. Doctors appointments on a Saturday? It's a brave new world.

Thank you all for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now