Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to get my toddler to wear his glasses

(4 Posts)
WhenDoISleep Fri 07-Feb-14 10:50:49

DS (21 months) was prescribed glasses last July for anisometropia. We had occasional success getting him to wear the glasses for short period, but then they would be flung off regularly whenever we tried to put them on him.

We saw the ophtalmologist & orthoptist a couple of weeks ago and we need to move him towards full time wear. He ad a new prescription issued at that appointment and we collected his new glasses yesterday.

He has flexible frames and I also purchased a set of traditional frames - as he is very keen on trying on my glasses I thought he might wear them to 'be like Mummy'.

We are a glasses wearing family - I wear my glasses all the time, DH wears his for work / watching TV and when we are out sometimes and my sister who lives with us also frequently wears hers when DS is with her so he has plenty of people to model.

So what can I do to encourage full time wear (or build up to it). ATM he will usually have them on if we are out, but once we are home they are flung off. How have other people managed to get their toddlers to wear glasses?

EyeoftheStorm Fri 07-Feb-14 11:07:29

DS2 was a bit older - 2.5 - when he started wearing glasses. Nobody else in immediate family does so started from scratch. I took the view that it might take time to build up. Great that he wears them outside.

DS2 would take them off all the time at first. I'd let him, leave it, then offer them again after a short time. And repeat. And repeat. Never cross, never frustrated. Sometimes if he wanted something like TV or a snack I would say, if you put your glasses on. Lots of praise if he did.

Took weeks, if not months, but now, he's happy to wear them and rarely takes them off. Good luck.

WhenDoISleep Fri 07-Feb-14 21:31:15

Looks like perseverance is going to be key the.

WhenDoISleep Mon 24-Feb-14 13:50:46

A little bump.

We have been trying for the last two weeks, but he is incredibly resistant to the idea of wearing then - I really despair at ever getting him to wear them all the time or even on any kind of consistent basis.

In the last couple of days he has been squinting sometimes as well which I am concerned about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now