Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tartar buildup on DD 2.5 top teeth

(7 Posts)
LilyPilley Wed 05-Feb-14 19:26:11

Hi, anyone else have experience with tartar buildup on a toddlers teeth? I'm rather annoyed - my DD has always allowed me to brush her teeth and have done so religiously since she first got them. I suspect this may be caused by the fact that she still drinks one or two bottles of milk at night. I understand that the sugars in milk can cause tartar buildup. There is no way she will sit still for a dentist - she absolutely freaks out on a trip to the doctors. Any advice on how I can remove the tartar or do I have to wait until she's ready to visit the dentist, and will that be really damaging to her teeth? Any advice appreciated.

LilyPilley Thu 06-Feb-14 07:01:51

Bump smile

MrsDavidBowie Thu 06-Feb-14 07:07:27

CaN you stop the milk?

LilyPilley Thu 06-Feb-14 07:29:26

Yes, I think I will need to. Doesn't help the damage already done though.

MrsDavidBowie Thu 06-Feb-14 08:36:34

Has she been to the dentist yet? I know you said she won't sit still, but has she seen anyone?

LilyPilley Thu 06-Feb-14 08:39:16

No, I called this morning and they suggested I bring her in - just to get used to the chair. The likelihood is that they don't do anything yet as it's not severe enough for sedation.

Mrsmorton Thu 06-Feb-14 13:02:33

Milk doesn't cause tartar build up, it's the action of saliva on plaque that causes tartar so if you're brushing properly every day then tartar can't grow. Tartar doesn't cause damage per se, if it's there and you can clean the actual tartar then it will be ok. It's the long term effects of plaque and tartar that cause gum disease in adults.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now