Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS refusing to drink

(9 Posts)
FieryChipotle Wed 05-Feb-14 15:59:35

DS2 (23 months) was in hospital this morning with a fever and a very fast heart rate. We came home after five hours and I was told to take him to the doctor if he gets worse.

He has only had 2.5oz of milk and a tiny drop of Ribena to drink all day. I have offered him all manner of things but he still refuses.

What can I do?

Also, he has a bag taped to his penis to catch urine and I can't get the bloody thing off!

He is out of sorts and lying around on the sofa, but not terribly ill like he was earlier. I just want him to drink!

TheSlug Wed 05-Feb-14 16:03:00

Ice lollies?

FieryChipotle Wed 05-Feb-14 16:05:47

Thanks I'll give it a go! My every suggestion results in 'NO!' or total hysteria... ��

googietheegg Wed 05-Feb-14 16:15:38

Pieces of cucumber or a clementine?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Feb-14 19:39:35

How is he now fiery?

FieryChipotle Wed 05-Feb-14 21:54:47

Back in hospital unfortunately. Still no urine output so waiting for him to go on a drip. hmm

Thanks for asking though!

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Feb-14 21:58:10

Thinking of you fiery. DS was rushed into hospital at 17 months and spent a lot of that time on a drip. And the attempts to get a urine sample were a bit hit and miss.

FieryChipotle Thu 06-Feb-14 01:11:01

Oh dear BikeRunSki! Hope everything is ok now.

It took five attempts to get the cannula in after a three hour wait in A&E. He's asleep on the ward now so hopefully he'll feel a little better in the morning.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Feb-14 19:32:51

He's a fine and feisty 5 yo now fiery, but I remember the 9 days he spent in hospital like they were yesterday. How are you and your DS?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now