Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vicks vaporub at 8 weeks old

(12 Posts)
Imnotbeverley Wed 05-Feb-14 12:56:57

I know that it isn't recommended at less than 3 months, and I don't expect anyone to advise me to ignore that. But does anyone have any experience of using it on a baby's feet to help with congestion? My DS is so congested at night it is causing him to cough and making him very distressed. I have propped up his moses basket so that his head is higher than his feet, a am giving him a bath before bed whilst running hot water to make the bathroom steamy.

I obviously don't want to do anything that could harm him, I want to help him feel better! I am a nurse and the only reason I can think of to avoid it would be if it is irritable to his airway. A small amount on his feet under a babygrow rather than on his chest doesn't seem to me like a very strong "dose" that would cause a problem?

ilovepowerhoop Wed 05-Feb-14 13:00:09

Vicks isnt recommended under the age of 2 years so no I would use it anywhere near him. You could use saline nasal spray/drops and a baby snot sucker thing to help

Phantomteadrinker Wed 05-Feb-14 13:01:12

Try some snufflebabe. Same the but weaker. I think Vicks is too strong for babies' skin

ilovepowerhoop Wed 05-Feb-14 13:01:35

from vicks website:

In the UK Vicks VapoRub can be used with children as of the age of 2 years and above. Vicks VapoRub is for external use only. For this apply Vicks VapoRub lightly to the chest and back of your child by rubbing it in gently.

Pascha Wed 05-Feb-14 13:03:25

We use Snufflebabe here too.

rainbowfeet Wed 05-Feb-14 13:06:21

When ds was full of cold at 5 weeks I asked pharmacist about Vicks & he said defiantly not. All he suggested was the nasal drop clearer thing made by Calpol.

Phantomteadrinker Wed 05-Feb-14 13:56:20

Oh, there's also a vapour plugin thing from calpol that is great and soothing

phoolani Wed 05-Feb-14 14:02:25

I use the carvol(?) capsule thingies (just trying to find the box to get the proper name and amazingly I don't have any in) little caplets you snip open and empty on a muslin near to the cot (out of reach). Really helps ds. Think they're ok from any age..(?).

Imnotbeverley Wed 05-Feb-14 14:25:25

Phoolani- not heard of them, I'll investigate. Thank you!

Phantomtea- Pharmacist told me that plug ins are not for use under 3years unfortunately.

Got the snot sucker but we haven't used it as the congestion seems to be right at the back of his throat, too far back to go poking with anything.

I'm trying to get some snufflebabe, in the meantime I'm just feeding him as often as possible and giving lots of cuddles.

Imnotbeverley Wed 05-Feb-14 14:30:15

Agh, snufflebabe also says not to use under 3 months!

nearlyreadytopop Wed 05-Feb-14 14:38:18

another vote for a saline nose spray and a snot sucker. its very rewardinggrin

Phantomteadrinker Thu 06-Feb-14 09:46:26

Oh really? A little snuffle babe on the bed clothes should fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now