Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS broken collarbone! Any advice welcome...

(7 Posts)
JustSpeakSense Wed 05-Feb-14 10:49:37

My 12Y DS has broken his collarbone playing rugby at school. We have been sent home from A & E with a sling and painkillers and have an appointment with the fracture clinic next week.

He is in excruciating agony, battling to get comfortable, battling to sleep (feeling waves of slight nausea - brought on by the pain) I'm at a loss of how to help him?

Anyone with any advice, or any experience with broken collarbones? I just wish I could trade places with himsad

GoogleIsBad Wed 05-Feb-14 10:58:10

Speaking only from my own experience of breaking mine when I was 8, tell him to really rest it until it is healed. I went on the dodgems and also played sport too soon and it really never had a chance to heal. I have a lump now in the area and it still causes me a bit of pain occasionally, 20 odd years on.

Hope the pain passes for him soon smile

imip Fri 07-Feb-14 14:44:38

When my then 3yo broke her collar bone, she slept the curve of a breastfeeding pillow to stop her moving at night. Initially we found that she would roll during the night on her side and be in agony when she woke up, but this was helpful.

I hope he gets well soon. Dd was better quickly, bones in kids heal quickly, I hope that is the same for 12 year olds....

cestlavielife Fri 07-Feb-14 15:04:21

go back to gp and get some stronger painkillers for him.

Jollyb Fri 07-Feb-14 20:32:15

I second the recommendation for a v shaped pillow. I remember using one when I fractured my clavicle as a child.

Honeysweet Sat 08-Feb-14 15:26:49

Feel I should post. No advice as such, like Google, I broke mine when I was 8. Just playing about on the floor with friends and rolled over funny.
I have though now got arthritis in my neck. Only a minor problem for the time being. Have sort of presumed that it might have been caused by the broken collarbone?
But just wanted to say that as he grows, remind him to try and have good posture. My mum used to say that to me, but I didnt take much notice. Sort of wished I did now.

Allalonenow Sat 08-Feb-14 15:37:52

YY to the pillow advice, if you don't have a V shaped pillow, make the shape with four or five ordinary pillows, so that he is sleeping in quite a propped up position, he will feel more secure and sleep better like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now