Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hyper mobile child

(5 Posts)
Idocrazythings Wed 05-Feb-14 08:59:46

DS is nearly four and has hypermobile joints. They don't bother him at all. I was wondering what a good sport would be to get him into to help strengthen him. Initially I thought gymnastics but his teacher has said that might not be a good idea as it may make him more flexible.

Does anyone have any advice or insights? I thought maybe TaeKwonDo might be good?

tiggermummy70 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:20:45

my 7 year old daughter also has the same. only thing we were recommended to do was keep her in ankle boots as long as we could so she would be able to wear heels whe she is older.
she really likes running, swimming and karate. She would also like to do gymnastics grin

Chucklecheeks Wed 05-Feb-14 18:30:49

We have just taken 2 year old DS for his first physio due to HM. They stated most sport is great but to avoid gymnastics. The aim of gymnastics is to extend your muscles to the maximum and they said that children with HM have no natural resistance to over extending and could do damage.

incywincyspideragain Thu 06-Feb-14 23:00:44

Physo recommended swimming and riding bike for ds (now 7) also trampolining - to be honest he finds running hard so these suit him best - he did like rock climbing when we took him

Chucklecheeks Thu 06-Feb-14 23:26:03

How strange, we were told to avoid trampolining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now