Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone had a very long-sighted 3 year old....

(11 Posts)
Lifesagame Tue 04-Feb-14 22:22:22

and if so how much has their sight improved as they've got older?

DS2 first got glasses last summer, prescription +6.5 in one eye and +7.5 in the other. At his 6 month hospital eye check the prescriptions were strengthened to +8.0 and +9.0 (we were told this would probably happen when his eyes had "relaxed" a bit). We have been told his eyesight should improve year on year as he grows but they couldn't say how much better it would get.

Has anyone else had a young DC with this level of prescription and how have things improved / changed as they got older?

Twighlightsparkle Tue 04-Feb-14 22:24:58

Longsight doesn't tend to increase an awful lot.

Babies are generally born longsighted, so in some ways most people do grow out of it.

I think it's likely the prescription wil always be around the same level, maybe a diopter of two less as a biggest change.

bishboschone Tue 04-Feb-14 22:33:10

My dd is 2 and wears + 4.5 in both eyes . His prescription has got stronger and thy said this is because he is getting bigger and try can get a more accurate reading.

Teawaster Tue 04-Feb-14 22:37:09

Hi my DS at 2.5 yrs had a similar prescription to your DS at 3 yrs but it didn't increase much over the years. It went up slightly a couple of times and in recent years it came down a bit so now at 12 it's probably the same as it was an the time of diagnosis. We were told at 2.5 years that with that level of longsightedness he would always need glasses/lenses. Have thought about lenses but DS is not really sporty and we have got so used to his glasses that we just have not gone down that road. The optician says the benefit to lenses would be that he would have better peripheral vision as he will always be a head turner otherwise. He has astigmatism also which impacts his prescription a bit so not sure what impact that has really

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Feb-14 09:49:50

Yes. Dd is 6 now and her longsight has improved but she is different in that she has astigmatism too.

LovingTheSunshine Wed 05-Feb-14 10:58:31

Hi
My DS was prescribed glasses when he was 1.5 years old as he had squints in both eyes & long sighted +6 in both eyes. The glasses Arne helping bus squints improve but his glasses prescription has not been changed, although he is due a check up this month. BTW he is now 3.5 years old.

LovingTheSunshine Wed 05-Feb-14 10:59:18

*The glasses are helping his squints improve

Lifesagame Wed 05-Feb-14 19:11:14

Thank you all for replying. Yes, his glasses have really helped his squint (which is how we first noticed a problem) even though he's only had them 6 months. I guess I was hoping for some improvement on the prescription rather than quite a big increase - the lenses are so thick and make his eyes look huge sad I do worry about him wearing them when he's older with sports and general boys ruff and tumble etc and also what other kids might say if the lenses stay so thick, but I suppose he'll just get used to it as will we.

StuntNun Wed 05-Feb-14 19:16:44

My DS2 has a similar level of longsightedness and it hasn't changed much since he was diagnosed at 18 months, he's now 7. He gets his lenses thinned down which doesn't cost us any more but takes a bit longer to get them. Is your child being treated for the squint? My DS2 had to wear a patch for an hour a day for six years to allow his 'bad' eye to develop normally.

bishboschone Wed 05-Feb-14 19:17:48

How old is he ? We have really cool ones that have a strap around the back .. I know you can get lenses thinned out. Would that make a difference to how his eyes look? I too was hoping my ds prescription would go down but it went up.. He has global delay and a gentic condition so in scared they will deteriorate to not working hmm

AnneElliott Wed 05-Feb-14 19:30:52

My DS was really long sighted at 3 but now at 7 his prescription has got a lot ether and his lenses are a lot thinner. We had to patch one of his eyes though for 2 years to get to this point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now