Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chest problems with a c- section delivery

(7 Posts)
mumtoacub Tue 04-Feb-14 21:23:47

Hi this is a long one.....
When ds was born by c section he had a lot of mucus in his chest I queried this with the community midwife who said it would clear.
It never did. At 16 weeks he was diagnosed with broncholitis and was in hospitL got 5 days ( I believe he contracted this as a direct result of the phlegm in his chest), since them there hasn't been a month go by when he hast needed antibiotics and steroids asHe suffers "viral wheeze" with a barking cough.
Last time I took him to be checked due to the wheeze we were admitted to hospital where he was nebuliser on oxygen and on inhaler ever hour. This scared me as I could hear or see no difference to every other episode of "viral wheeze" . At that admission we were prescribed inhalers which may or May not be helping.
He has also had two attacks of croup.
He is now 2.2.
Has anyone else had experience of this kind of ongoing chesty problem? Is there a link to c section delivery?
Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

InPursuitOfOblivion Tue 04-Feb-14 21:35:02

Was it a planned or emergency CS?

mumtoacub Tue 04-Feb-14 21:40:18

Planned. Breech position

InPursuitOfOblivion Tue 04-Feb-14 21:50:17

Okey doke. Babies born by CS statistically have more chest problems but it shouldn't be having any effect now.
Have any tests been done to determine the virus? If indeed that is what it. Could be a fungal infection for example and all the antibiotics in the world won't make a difference.

InPursuitOfOblivion Tue 04-Feb-14 21:51:46

Of course antibiotics won't make a difference with a virus either!

mumtoacub Tue 04-Feb-14 22:30:03

He has had allergy testing to basic allergens but thinking of getting a more comprehensive test done. No other tests carried out, the medics just put it down to the previous broncholitis and said he will have these issues till he is 2 now they say 3. One doctor suggested they would diagnose asthma when he is 3.
Thanks for your reply due dc2 in summer and considering delivery options so it's good to know these issues aren't linked.

EyeoftheStorm Wed 05-Feb-14 18:22:30

DS1 was planned section for breech baby. He was diagnosed with asthma before the age of 2 which is quite unusual I think.

DD1 was also a c-section, this time at 36+5. She was grunty and needed help with her breathing so much worse than DS1. She is the most robust of my DC, rarely getting worse than a runny nose.

I wondered about the effect of the delivery after DS1, but his sister's birth made me realise it was just one of those things. Definitely not something to feel guilty about if that's what you're doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now