Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cord blood - what to do?

(3 Posts)
eastdulwichbedwetter Tue 04-Feb-14 16:17:28

I had my first child while on assignment overseas (Asia) and was hit up for cord blood storage by a private company. It seemed cheap at the time and she was my pfb. I paid next to no tax and no accommodation so felt rich then. I was also on pethidine so an easy target for a sales pitch!

We now live in UK and have other child and donated her cord blood to the UK bank. We are now strapped as we both work part time, and the exchange rate is now against us so the charges are now 200 quid a year to store this.

Thing is, I’ve tried to cancel and failed the storage and forgot about it. We’re 6 years into the plan – should I suck it up and keep paying? Or cancel it.

Will having donated the cord blood for her sister here in the UK mean there is a match?

Thanks

Elderberri Tue 04-Feb-14 16:19:19

Never had the option.

What are the benefits?

eastdulwichbedwetter Tue 04-Feb-14 18:25:35

Oh, stem cells for any future treatment of certain diseases. I had it taken in Singapore but in the UK did it and donated it to the UK bank through the Anthony Nolan trust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now