Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick question re penicillin

(3 Posts)
spikeyiscool Tue 04-Feb-14 12:45:37

Dd aged nearly 16 has terrible tonsilitus. She has been prescribed 250 mg (I think! Dr said adult dose as she was so ill) of penicillin to take 2 of 4 times a day. She has been taking the medicine since Saturday morning and is improving.

My question is - how awful is it not to give the doses every 6 hours? At the moment I am having to set my alarm to 3 am to wake dd to take two tablets. I can't get back to sleep! I was wondering whether she could take 3 tablets (instead of 2) for two doses instead thus not missing any tablets?

Would this affect the way the penicillin is working?

Thank you.

ScienceRocks Tue 04-Feb-14 12:54:09

I'm a pharmacist. Get her to take the doses during waking hours, eg. 7am, 1pm, 6pm and 11pm. This is perfectly fine and what I advise my patients to do. I wouldn't split the doses by getting her to take three tablets as she is more likely to suffer side effects such as an upset stomach.

Hope she gets better soon.

spikeyiscool Tue 04-Feb-14 12:55:19

Thank you ScienceRocks.

Will print this out for dd as she won't believe me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now