Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Child with growing pains?

(5 Posts)
DesertRose Sat 01-Feb-14 13:37:48

Hi,

My 7 year old son has been complaining for a while that he has sore legs. I've been brushing it off as growing pains however apparently he is now at the school nurse every day at playtime, and is asking to sit out of PE etc.

I'm awaiting various blood tests but has anyone been through this? Is it growing pains do you think?

sad

MrsKCastle Sat 01-Feb-14 13:58:17

My DD1 seems to be suffering from growing pains, and from what I've read, they usually occur at night. So if he's in pain every day at school, there may be something else going on. When my friend's DS had recurring leg pain, it was eventually diagnosed as juvenile arthritis. sad

I'm no doctor, though. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon from the blood tests etc.

wewillmendit Sat 01-Feb-14 22:38:19

I took DD to doc's a couple of weeks ago as she had been saying that her leg hurt for over a week, this as during the day. Doc said it was growing pains, I said that I thought they occurred at night, but he said can be anytime of day.
DD was also asking to sit out of PE.
She seems to be ok now, although she always seem to have some sort of ache and pain.

DesertRose Sun 02-Feb-14 12:27:54

Thank you both for your replies.
I'm applying voltaren gel and that seems to help, I guess I'll just wait and see what the blood tests say. I don't even want to google juvenile arthritis or anything else yet. Fingers crossed it's just growing pains for us all.

Thanks,

DesertRose Mon 24-Feb-14 03:14:15

Hi,
Just to update you on this and hopefully help some of you - DS has been diagnosed with Vit D deficiency which now all makes sense (bone aches, tiredness, irritability, low calcium levels). I am so relieved that this is something that can be sorted out and he starts supplements today.

It may be something that you could look into!
All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now