Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Drinking water & dry drowning - I'm just being paranoid, right?

(10 Posts)
thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 21:41:50

I couldn't find 7.5mo DD's sippy cup tonight so I let her have a sip of water from a normal cup. I'd let her do this once before and she'd really enjoyed it.

She was excited about it, and grabbed the cup, much harder than I expected. A load of water went into her mouth, at the same time she was making noises, and she choked on it.

She coughed for a couple of minutes, then cried for a while after, not nice sad

This was a couple of hours ago. She's seemed fine except for some more coughing about an hour ago, which lasted maybe 3 minutes.

Now I'm getting paranoid about dry drowning. What do you think? Am I being nuts or is this a possibility?

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 21:44:17

FWIW I know dry drowning is possible from inhaling bath water. My question really is can you inhale enough from one go from a cup for it to be a danger?

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 22:00:58

<hopeful bump>

gamerchick Wed 04-Dec-13 22:02:25

No I think she's fine. I really wouldn't worry from what you've said.

ballroomblitz Wed 04-Dec-13 22:07:35

I wouldn't worry either. 14 mo dd does this frequently and I've choked myself on water quite a few times throughout my life. Still here and breathing.

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 22:10:10

So I'm just being nuts then, you reckon? Good!

FWIW I didn't worry so much when it happened. It was when she started coughing an hour later. DS said "she's coughing like a big boy!"

I then googled it and read lots of stuff about dry drowning but it was mostly related to bath water.

I know, google can make you paranoid! But I just wanted to check ...

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 22:11:24

I've choked on water too.

But this was kinda thrown down her throat IYSWIM, rather than choking while already drinking.

thepobblewhohasnotoes Wed 04-Dec-13 22:11:59

But I'm sure you're right, it's not possible to be a large enough amount is it?

Thanks for talking me down from paranoia, it helps smile

Penny123456 Sun 06-Jul-14 19:46:14

Hey there! The same thing just happened to my daughter. I'm wondering how hours turned out. You never posted again. Was she ok?

Monikadian Thu 30-Mar-17 09:23:31

My 2 year old daughter was drinking water from a sipper bottle and suddenly she choked and started coughing very hard. Water was coming from her nose. Then she seemed fine after a minute. But i am really worried about secondary drowning. Please help.. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now