Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7 week old with 'jittery' legs

(7 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Fri 18-Oct-13 20:31:55

Ds3 is now 7 weeks old and since birth, has been what I would call 'jittery'. We were sent back in to see the paedetrician when he was a day old to check his calcium level and blood sugar level. Both came back fine. The paedetrician and midwives at the time said likely to just be 'one of those things' and he would grow out of it.

We both saw the dr on Monday for ds's 6 week check up. I mentioned it to dr, who was a bit stumped, she even got another dr in to take a look.

It isn't continuous jitteriness, just when he is a bit agitated, from being changed, after his bath or crying. It seems to be mostly now just in his legs, although he does sometimes have a tremor (lasting a couple of seconds) in his lower lip. His legs, mostly his right one vibrates and it lasts less than 3 or 4 seconds in total. It reminds me of when I've leant on a nerve funny and my hand has shaken a bit.

The dr didn't seem over concerned, said it seems like his nervous system maturing. However, neither she, nor the second dr have seen it before, so I'm obviously concerned. They said his overall tone was good. Developmentally, he seems on track, his 'tone' they said was good, he is smiling and interacting now. They want to see him again in a month.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Thanks for reading.

FoodieToo Fri 18-Oct-13 22:13:37

Is that not just newborn tremors? Immature nervous system.
I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Some kids seem to startle etc more than others.

WandaDoff Fri 18-Oct-13 22:16:30

DD had this, & they told me that it was an immature nervous system & not to worry.

I didn't worry, & it was gone by the time she started to sit up by herself.

smile

tinkerbell666 Fri 18-Oct-13 22:17:22

well, my 8 week old does it, reminds me of a dog when they get a shakey leg smile he is my 5th child and none of the others have done it, but i'm not overly worried smile

ll31 Sat 19-Oct-13 07:39:02

Ds had this,similar age ,disappeared in few wks,no explanation

sheeplikessleep Sat 19-Oct-13 08:39:28

Thankyou, that's very reassuring. As I say, the dr said it was probably nervous system maturing, but I thought would have gone by now. Good to know its me underestimating when it goes. Thanks for posting

Marleen82 Mon 28-Dec-15 11:16:31

Dear Sheeplikesleep,

My now 10 weeks old son has exactly the same symptoms as yours. I found this forum discussion via Google - everyone is telling me not to worry but as mother of a newborn baby I do worry. I'm just curious to hear how your son has developed (he must be 2-years old now)? Did the jittering disappear? I hope it did.

I'd really appreciate to hear from you if it didn't cause any further developmental problems.

Best wishes,
Marleen (from the Netherlands)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now