Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MRI scan and loose stools - cancel?

(5 Posts)
aviator Tue 30-Jul-13 14:49:00

DS has a MRI scan tomorrow and has had loose stools for the last 5 days (I caught him drinking paddling pool water so this could be it?) . He will be going under general anaesthetic as he is 2 yrs old. The nurses told me I need to inform them if he gets ill before the scan as they will have to cancel. Thing is I've waited 9 months to get him this scan, I really don't want to cancel - if he had a cold/sniffle I understand but he is behaving normal, not groggy, no temp, not complaining or crying at all. I imagine if I call the hospital to ask then they will cancel it as they can't see him to judge for themselves. Anyone out there know if loose stools and GA are bad idea?

NightScentedStock Tue 30-Jul-13 15:49:25

In the absence of other symptoms I would not cancel.

Your DS will be under GA for only a very short period of time,and from what you decribe he is quite well, so i dont think the loose stools shouldn't affect things at all.

Just check his temperature in the morning to be on the safe side (I am sure you would anyway and hospital should too as part of pre procedure check).

As he has had loose stools for 5 days with no other ill effects I doubt he has a systemic infection which could potentially cause a problem under GA. I would give your DS lots of fluids today to ensure he is not dehydrated at all for tomorrow.

I hope all goes well and that the mri is helpful.

NightScentedStock Tue 30-Jul-13 15:55:14

If he has diarrhoea as opposed to loose stools however I would let the mri dept know.

aviator Tue 30-Jul-13 20:46:13

Thanks
X

idiot55 Wed 31-Jul-13 16:30:05

I'm too late but you need to cancel. The ward will have vulnerable children, if its a bug , it really isn't great for ill children to go to hospitals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now