Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Early puberty in boys?

(9 Posts)
wigglybeezer Tue 30-Jul-13 09:51:55

DS3 has recently turned 9, he has been uncaracteristically moody and sensitive for about six months, has BO, gets very sweaty at night, has grown and got more lean and muscly and has just announced he has hairy balls! ( fine down, I checked). His brothers didn't hit this stage for another two years.

Question is, do I bother the GP as, apparently 9 is the cut off for this being regarded as normal ( although DS seems to have started at 8). I am concerned about his final height being shorter than his brothers,not to mention dealing with the emotional aspects.

Anyone else dealt with this issue?

nostress Tue 30-Jul-13 14:29:13

Mine started at 9, voice broke 12 and not grown since age 14 (apart from massive muscles)! Hes 15 and 5ft 9. He was on the 91st centile. Now closer to average. I'm not sure the gp would or could do anything because 9 is in normal range. Is he tall for his age now?

Mine fine emotionally though!

wigglybeezer Tue 30-Jul-13 16:53:54

He is quite tall for his age but not the tallest in his class, with big feet and hands! He is measuring about an inch taller than his brothers at the same age. I was wondering if I could persuade the GP to refer him because I reckon he started before nine and I just didn't realise what was going on.

I would hate him to end up significantly shorter than his brothers ( who started puberty at about 12).

wigglybeezer Tue 30-Jul-13 16:56:34

He is stropping in a manner frequently described by friends with tweenage girls, a big change from his previous happy go lucky personality and it has caused him to struggle with friendship issues at school.

CoolStoryBro Tue 30-Jul-13 16:58:22

DS started puberty at 9 and he's now 6ft at 12. The main problem has been he's struggled with physical maturity when he was so emotionally immature. At times, it's been quite heartbreaking to watch but he's much more settled now.

wigglybeezer Tue 30-Jul-13 17:23:13

If he really is starting puberty, I will have three boys all at various different stages of puberty in the house all at the same time. the testosterone fumes will probably make me grow a beard ...

I don't want my baby to get big and hairy yet sad.

nostress Tue 30-Jul-13 18:06:34

Just googled precocious puberty in boys and you can get some of the signs before entering real puberty. Pubic hair was one. My sons puberty started with his testicles growing, well dare I say more "dangly"! And general growth in that area. Hair came a bit later.

nostress Tue 30-Jul-13 18:12:01

Oh yeah forgot to say that hair not necessarily precocious puberty!

wigglybeezer Tue 30-Jul-13 18:26:08

I will try not to stress about it, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now