Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Inside mouth cuts on toddlers - anything need doing?

(4 Posts)
Thurlow Tue 02-Jul-13 10:14:51

I've tried Dr Google but can't seem to get the answer I want, and I don't want to bother the GP unless I need to.

Does anyone know what you should do with big cuts inside a toddler's mouth? She fell a good height from a chair and seems to have bit open inside her mouth, underneath the lip. She won't let me look at it bit I can see it is white/yellow as if there is a lot of skin that has been bitten. She's eating, taking a bottle and letting me clean her teeth fine.

Is there anything we need to do to keep it clean, or does the saliva do this job quite well? If she won't let me look at it how can I keep an eye that it isn't getting infected? Any advice would be great, none of my friends or the CM have dealt with this before!

coronalover Tue 02-Jul-13 10:19:44

Oh bless her! If it's stopped bleeding I'd leave it for now. My niece had to have stitches in her mouth but her tooth had gone right through her bottom lip.

If it seems to be hurting her later in the day maybe try to get her to the GP.

monikar Tue 02-Jul-13 13:34:16

If she is eating, drinking and letting you clean her teeth, then it probably isn't hurting her too much.

Do you think you could have a look when she was asleep or is it 'too far in'?

If it starts to hurt her, she will resist the tooth brushing and rough foods. If it starts to get infected it will swell and so her lip will look swollen and you will be able to see this from the outside. If this happens then I would get the gp or dentist to have a look, as they may be able to prescribe some gel to put on it and maybe antibiotics.

I think the great likelihood though is that it will heal up in a few days without any treatment - mouths heal quickly.

Thurlow Tue 02-Jul-13 14:56:49

Thans both. It already looks swollen outside from the fall itself, but I'll keep an eye. Good idea about checking it tonight when she's asleep though, I'll try that. It's the infection from food and that I was worried about, but I guess the human body must be designed to be a little more resiliant than that!

You'd think it might have stopped her trying to climb everything, but no... <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now