Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezy/asthmatic 21 month old how/when to get help?

(17 Posts)
dorapeppageorgenoddy Mon 27-May-13 20:44:18

Just as the title says we have had previous admissions for wheeze/Chest infections, but for a few months ds has been ok, until about a week ago we ended up in A and E for fast breathing and a x ray confirmed a chest infection - 5 day course of antibiotics has now finished but although temperature gone/ coughing/wheezing still not going back to normal - so over the last two days the coughing is increasing I have been giving the inhaler as instructed up to 10 puffs for 10 breaths but I never know the line of when he may need more help than we can give at home-

At 7.45 gave 10 puffs, he is still coughing, although not excessively fast breathing probably 60breaths per minute which I can see him breathing from his tummy - but he is not distressed, he is asleep, I have just put obas oil on his sleeping bag...the coughing is probably every 5/10 minutes which I don't think is a worry at this stage but any experience/advice would be great?

Pascha Mon 27-May-13 20:51:00

I think if the antibiotics are finished and he is still breathing fast/coughing every 10 minutes, even though he doesn't seem distressed, I would be inclined to call OOH for advice. Kids can be remarkably resilient and seem fine in themselves when they are really quite unwell.

There is a good chance he hasn't cleared the infection yet and he could well need more antibiotics.

lljkk Mon 27-May-13 20:51:52

Is he wheezing (have to look at his ribs for this)?

Smartiepants79 Mon 27-May-13 20:56:17

How often are you giving the inhaler.
Is he recessing?
Personally if he is sleeping I would leave him.
Do you think you are going over the dosage that hospital gave him?

dorapeppageorgenoddy Mon 27-May-13 20:58:45

What am I looking for in the ribs - he is tummy breathing? I can sometimes hear a wheeze but not a clear squeak but he is coughing and breathing quite fast? I'll take my phone up and count his breaths -

He has declined quickly before but I find it hard to tell if it's alway asthma/wheezing and if the inhaler is actually helping him? As I have given it and he is still coughing -

Going up to check him -

Sirzy Mon 27-May-13 21:01:34

I would get him checked tonight.

With DS (3.5) if I have to give 10 puffs and that doesn't hold for 4 hours I have always been told to go in and get him checked over.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 27-May-13 21:04:10

Now. His respiration rate is high, it will exhaust him, he needs seeing tonight.

Smartiepants79 Mon 27-May-13 21:05:06

If the inhaler doesn't appear to be working he made need more help.
When he breathes can you see a hollow under the ribs? Can you see the muscles in his neck working?
It's tricky cos I would HATE to wake my daughter if she was getting some much needed sleep.
Can you just keep an eye on him and see if he can get a nights sleep then GP in the morning?
A and e right now would not be fun!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 27-May-13 21:07:04

You're looking to see if his skin is sucking in between his ribs. But seriously I'd get him checked now. I have two asthmatic kids and rapid breathing is a warning sign.

Sirzy Mon 27-May-13 21:08:21

This is one case where I would always wake them to get checked. Out of control asthma can get worse very quickly and it is always best to get checked over rather than leave them.

dorapeppageorgenoddy Mon 27-May-13 21:11:05

Thanks for replies - presume it can sometimes just be a cough rather than asthma...

We haven't gone over what the doc said they said 10 puffs 2/3hrly -

I have just been up and he seems settled, he is coughing and breathing deeply but not too fast, I couldn't see pulling in at his ribs - so I presume the inhaler is doing its job for now - I gave a full dose at 7.45 so if he coughs more, starts pulling in/wheezing before 3hrs do I take him in? Or just give it again?

dorapeppageorgenoddy Mon 27-May-13 21:15:26

I'm going to go and get him up and he can sit with me for a bit so I can make a clear judgment as currently hearing coughing and then going upstairs - he did look settled although I know that breathing can change quickly etc -

Going to get him then can be a bit clearer with his ribs etc -

lljkk Tue 28-May-13 08:26:31

How is he today?

lollipoppi Tue 28-May-13 11:54:24

10 puffs on the inhalers is pretty much the equivalent to a nebuliser, so if he isn't going 4hours on that then he needs to be seen.
Also taking 60 breaths a min whilst asleep is extremely high, his oxygen levels could be low.

lollipoppi Tue 28-May-13 11:54:59

Ahhhh just seen this was from last night not today sorry, how is he today?

dorapeppageorgenoddy Tue 28-May-13 22:18:43

Last night he was much better when sitting up, I gave the inhaler and he responded well, my DH came home at 11 and we agreed he was ok to get through the night if we woke and did 3hrly inhaler - which we did, this morning we took him to the GP and he gave him another 5 day antibiotics - he already after 3 doses today so much better - have nt heard him at all on the monitor coughing and have been up to check twice and he is fine - during today he did still sound like he is purring/darf Vasari but fingers crossed over the worst -

Thanks for all replies, hate the feeling of not knowing what to do so always appreciative of MN wisdom smile

lljkk Wed 29-May-13 08:11:00

DS2 was prone to wheeziness, I used to prop him up in bed, too. It's a very hard call, although like someone else said if he can peacefully sleep I would typically let them sleep.
Hope it's all better from here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now