Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS(2) has chipped his two front teeth - can anything be done?

(11 Posts)
umiaisha Mon 27-May-13 20:21:17

As the title says really!

Thankfully they are not wobbly and there was no bleeding, but they are now very sharp. Will the dentist be able to do anything?

Thanks

MrsMorton Mon 27-May-13 21:26:50

First teeth?

umiaisha Mon 27-May-13 21:32:47

Yes, thankfully!

MrsMorton Mon 27-May-13 21:40:53

Not a great deal tbh. If he's not in pain then generally it's best to just leave the, and see what happens. We usually only intervene in children if there's a problem.

I saw a 2yo today who had fallen off a climbing frame sad and the advice was the same. Wait and see.

MrsMorton Mon 27-May-13 21:41:52

Keep an eye out for discolouring, a spot on the gum above the tooth though.

happydutchmummy Mon 27-May-13 21:43:46

Yes, definitely take him to the dentist as soon as poss. Nhs dentists are totally free for kids, so it won't cost anything. Several private dentists will also see kids on the nhs, so if he's not registered phone around some local practices tomorrow.

They will check the teeth, can get rid of the sharp bits and also sort out any cosmetic issues, depending on how much damage there is. I broke a baby tooth years ago and it was somehow reconstructed by the magic dentist who gave me stickers.

Good luck

Jjcrackers Mon 27-May-13 21:52:46

Sorry for hijacking but mrsmorton can I ask why discolouration and colouring is bad? My DS recently fell off his scooter and his tooth has turned grey with a patch of discolouration. Just back from holiday so need to take him to the dentist I guess?

Frogcatcher Mon 27-May-13 22:00:58

I chipped a small triangle out of the middle of my two front (adult) teeth when I was a child. No dentist ever suggested anything until I was about 22 when a new one asked why they had never been filed & filled. Turns out they could file them down a bit & then fill with white filling so I had perfect teeth again. There is no way to tell even 15 years later what is filling & what is tooth. Obviously I had to pay but it wasn't that expensive. Probably not necessary with baby teeth but could be considered if you or DS is concerned about the appearance until they fall out naturally.

MrsMorton Mon 27-May-13 23:01:27

Discolouration means that the nerve has died generally although in children's teeth are more variable.

Jjcrackers Tue 28-May-13 18:42:57

Thank you

umiaisha Tue 28-May-13 20:57:37

Thanks all - managed to get a dental appointment for him tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now