Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Broken collar bone - how can I help dd recover?

(11 Posts)
GoodyGumDrop Sun 26-May-13 20:51:07

DD2 fell off a roundabout today and broke her collar bone sad

A&E have given little advice beyond a diagnosis and follow-up appointment in a few weeks. She was given a basic sling only.

What is the most effective type of sling, and what else I can do to help it heal? I've had a look at these but not sure how effective it'll be ebay

She is left handed and it's the left side that's broken.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

quoteunquote Sun 26-May-13 21:51:14

lots of soft pillows to prop around her at night and when TV watching,

arnica and Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)

electric toothbrush,

kitten.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 26-May-13 22:03:04

The kitten made me laugh grin

Sleeping in your bedroom if you can so DC is close by if in pain during the night.

feelthis Sun 26-May-13 22:15:57

You can take some comfort in that it is very common - my DS2 did it age 4 falling off his bike. We only got one sling and I found it got grubby quite quick so we ended up going to a fabric shop and buying some material and making our own with instructions online. He told me at what height it was most comfortable. DS really liked it as we did pirate ones. As you have a DD you could let yourselves go! Google says a "broad arm" sling for 2 weeks but I would be worth getting that confirmed with your GP on Monday.

My DS found it painful to get out of bed in the morning as getting up from lying down was diffucult - we found a spoonful of calpol, waiting a while and then a pillow behind his back while I pushed him up gently worked - it was still sore but doable. I does heal quickly though.

feelthis Sun 26-May-13 22:18:23

Those ebay slings are nice but expensive. You can make 2 or 3 for a couple of quid from the remnants bin if you can get to a fabric shop.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 26-May-13 22:19:29

My ds broke hissad He needed a lot of painkillers at first so do keep dd dosed up. I agree about sleeping in the same room. I remember ds couldn't sleep at all at first. He and I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory back to back about three times in a row one night which was slightly mind blowingconfused

He definitely couldn't lie down so he needed lots of pillows to sleep sitting up for some time. And a sling of course.

Sending lots of sympathy, it's not nice at all but ds did mend fairly quickly. I'm terrified he'll do it again one day though.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 26-May-13 22:28:47

My DD broke hers a few months ago falling out of bed. It seemed to barely bother her after the first few days, & it took bribing to get her to use the sling after the first fortnight (she was supposed to use it for a month, I think). She was on bouncy castles at birthday parties, running around etc! It was her right arm & she is right handed but she seemed to manage fine, luckily she is just in reception so not much academic stuff to cope with... Only tip I can think of is lots of button up shirts/cardigans as she couldn't raise her arm to get t shirts etc on.

Good luck, hope she heals quickly.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 26-May-13 22:29:03

Talking of slings, ds found the sling he had, made from a big bandage, quite hot.

The fracture clinic doctor made him a simple support sling from, (sorry I don't know what it's called, but it was like) long strips of foam which was lighter and more comfortable.

GoodyGumDrop Sun 26-May-13 23:47:05

Thanks - lots of really great and very practical advice.

I've given her nurofen, arnica and rus tox (luckily granny is a homeopath). She went to sleep straight away, in her bed, she was exhausted. I'm about to wake her to use the potty so I'll put her back in with me and take calpol (sorry granny!) for the morning.

Have a fabric shop literally at the end of the road so we'll head down there first thing on Tues for a bit of retail therapy. the ebay ones do look nice but the arm/hand looks a bit low so not ideal and yeah they are very pricey. Also it won't get here till at least Thurs, so no point really.

Was quite worried but am now feeling very reassured thanks to you lot. After frequent but fruitless trips to a&e with accident prone but generally very lucky dd1 (who btw was implicated in the roundabout incident somewhat, but I just just just won't go there) I was totally shocked when they told me it actually was broken...was just expecting bruising or perhaps dislocation. Even more flabbergasted when the doc said "It's broken but we won't need to OPPERATE!". The thought had never even crossed my mind.

Liking the kitten idea, although our ageing moggy would definitely no likey so might have to go for the electric toothbrush option...

feelthis Mon 27-May-13 10:39:52

Hope she had a good night - remember to use you existing hospital sling as a template for fabric length needed - you don't want it to be too short!

GoodyGumDrop Mon 27-May-13 12:15:55

Thanks yes, good idea, will do.... she slept well and seems much perkier this morning, although is still dosed up with nurofen. She's quite a calm brave little thing and not at all dramaqueeny (unlike yours truly!) which helps. Also she's secretly quite liking the sling situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now