Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

WWYD - 18mo bumped head

(6 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Fri 24-May-13 13:05:15

DD fell backwards off the sofa about an hour ago and bumped her head on the floor (wood floor with thin rug over it). She didn't black out, was screaming her head off until I BFed her and then she fell asleep. This was a lot earlier than her usual nap time, so like every anxious parent I called NHS Direct. They got me to check if she could wake up (she did, grumpily) and ran through all the other questions (no fitting, vomiting, discharge from ears or nose etc), but said that because she'd bumped her head quite hard, I should take her to A&E.

However, after I got off the phone, DD was back up and running around, and now seems pretty much like her old self - chatting away, smiling and playing as usual. So given there are no other symptoms other than a lump on her head, WWYD - take her to the hospital, or just sit tight and keep an eye on her?

Parietal Fri 24-May-13 13:17:32

I dropped my 20mo from my shoulders a while ago, and phoned NHS direct. they had me take her to A&E, where I spent 3 hours with a very grumpy child. she was grumpy because there was no food there and I was told if I went to the hospital cafe to get something I might miss my 2 mins of seeing doctors. doctors did check her eyes etc a few times and then finally let me go.

If it happened to me again, I'd keep her at home and keep a very close eye on her.

calypso2008 Fri 24-May-13 13:22:33

I was told when DD, (around 2 at the time) fell over and bashed, really bashed her forehead, that it is only serious if it is the side of the head, where it is weakest. This was by lovely doctor the clinic I rushed her to as she had a MASSIVE egg lump.

If she seems fine, then I am sure she is. Do keep an eye - obviously, if she is sick or drousy straight to a&e. Also if her eyes go wonky. Otherwise, it is really better for her to relax and rest/play at home.

Don't worry - this happens to all of us smile

StitchAteMySleep Fri 24-May-13 13:27:02

I would just keep an eye on her.

Dd2 (16 months) has done this several times onto our hard floor, no problems.

Dd1's buggy turned over on the bus when the bus braked sharply and she hit her head very hard (big bump on head), she was asleep at the time and fell back asleep on the way to A&E. Doc's checked her over and she was ok, bruised, shocked, but ok.

Their heads are harder than we think.

BabCNesbitt Fri 24-May-13 13:27:13

Thank you for the replies! Keeping an eye on her is what I was most inclined to do, but I wasn't sure if I was being a lax mother in thinking that, so thanks for the reassurances smile She's running around yelling 'baaa!' at the moment - bloody 'Timmy Time'...

calypso2008 Fri 24-May-13 13:50:11

Then she's fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now