Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has your dc had a Nance bite plate with their braces?

(2 Posts)
admylin Fri 24-May-13 10:13:14

Ds (just turned 15) had his braces fitted this week. He also has a Nance bite plate to stop the front two teeth biting onto the bottom brace. His back teeth also don't thouch anymore so he can't chew anything.
He's having real trouble eating and speaking. In two weeks he has to go on a 6 day class trip on a sort of adventure type holiday with climbing, rafting, camping and day long hikes in the forest. There's no way they will provide soft food for him, they have enough trouble catering for vegetarians and he's starving. He's in a growing phase and can eat three times as much as me some days.
I'm not sure what to do. Should we cancel the trip? If your dc had one of these bite plates did they get used it after a while and were they able to eat much?

mumof4sons Sat 25-May-13 02:17:21

My DS did. Took a while to get used to, but didn't starve to death.

His mouth will be tender at the moment, but in two weeks time he should be back to normal and used to it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now