Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nobody knows the answer

(5 Posts)
Calebsmummy27 Fri 24-May-13 10:08:56

Just after some advise.

My little boy will be 2 on 27/05/2013 & he still has very loose stools. We have seen the dietician a number of times aswel as the paediatric gastroenterologist. He was tested for coeliac disease as it runs in the family and on paper thats what it seems he has but his results came back that he didnt have it. We have tried soya diet & excluding dairy products with no difference & also fat diet (butter & oil in pretty much everything) & that made no difference either. We're at a stand still ATM because the dietician has tried everything she can & she isn't putting it down to dietary problems or allergies, she thinks its something else. I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation & what happens next etc? We've been on this journey since he was roughly 10month so to not be very much further forward after a year is concerning me because i know something is wrong.

He has roughly 3 loose stools a day & gets a very distended belly after drinking & eating. His birth weight was 7lb 1oz & at 20 months he weighed 21lb & at 23 months he weighed 21lb 1oz so he's clearly not putting on weight & they seem pretty concerned about it but its basically because whatever goes in his mouth comes out the other end undigested so he isn't getting much goodness/fat from what he's eating.

FoodieToo Fri 24-May-13 13:10:57

Have you tried excluding gluten anyway,just in case?

I hear coeliac disease can be hard to diagnose in kids?

cestlavielife Fri 24-May-13 14:32:26

ask for endoscopy to have a look if things are inflamed or coeiliac looking on the inside

denialandpanic Tue 28-May-13 22:53:50

the coeliac antibody test is unreliable in small children.have you seen the new nice guidance? you should be pictured the genetic test and checked if I think igg deficient? there was a write up in the latest issue of the crossed grain coeliac UK magazine. with the family history and symptoms I personally would be trialling strict gluten free before a biopsy.this is what we choose to do with our dd and she is thriving.she is receiving same follow up as she would if formal diagnosis but no prescribed food etc.

denialandpanic Tue 28-May-13 22:55:00

I mean we turned down a biopsy.don't go gluten free before biopsy if you wish to follow that route!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now