Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can a doctor diagnose chicken pox from two spots?

(22 Posts)
HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:00:58

Our DD spent 45 minutes with her cousin two weeks ago, the next day he was covered in spots. Yesterday I found one spot on dd's back - it looked like a pimple. By the end of the day it looked a bit red and angry. Her tummy button looked a bit red too but I couldn't see a defined spot there. I found another spot on her neck which didn't look at all red or sore. This morning the one on her back is still there but isn't as inflamed looking. Her tummy button is no longer red and doesn't look like a spot at all, the neck one looks the same and there are no new spots. I don't known if she has CP or just two random spots?

This wouldn't normally be an issue, I'd wait it out and see if more spots appear but we are due to be flying out on holiday tomorrow and obviously we would not go if she has CP. Do you think a doctor will see her and be able to diagnose on two spots?

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 24-May-13 08:04:17

Chicken pox have a very specific look. I wouldn't go to the GP because you risk passing CP onto others who in a GP's waiting room could easily be immunosuppressed or pregnant.

Google chicken pox and look at the images. If it is CP I'm pretty sure your DC will have more than 2 spots very soon.

SuiGeneris Fri 24-May-13 08:06:01

Yes if the spots are typical. Definitely worth taking her. Call ahead to let the receptionist know as you will probably need to wait somewhere else than the main waiting room.

Areyoumadorisitme Fri 24-May-13 08:07:14

I had chicken pox with two spots age 2 and from that have full immunity so it is possible. The whole family had it and they weren't sure if I'd be immune from so little so it is possible it is chicken pox.

As already said, chicken pox has a very particular look so google images and decide. GPs don't like to actually see it.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:13:44

Thanks CaptainJamesTKirk, I obviously go to the GPs unless they said it was ok. I have googled pictures and seen blistery looking spots, her spots don't look like that. But my sister said her ds' spots took a couple of days to look like that and the first three looked like pimples for a couple of days. She said my description sounds like what his were like. I just wanted to see if there was a way to know for sure also we would need medical advice telling us not to fly from a travel insurance point of view.

MrsLettuce Fri 24-May-13 08:16:00

My GP did, but it turned out he was actually unable to - DS had hand, foot and mouth.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:16:16

Sorry I am so slow at typing! Thats a good idea about waiting elsewhere, we could even wait in the car park! I guess the best thing to do is call and see if they will see us.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:19:47

I hope we can find out somehow MrsLettuce, otherwise how will we make the decision on the holiday?

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 24-May-13 08:21:23

There's no harm. Although I have a feeling they'll ask you to stay away if you suspect CP unless there are other symptoms.

Are you sure your insurance will cover CP?

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:25:55

Our insurance doesn't specify CP but says it will cover cancellation where a medical professional advises against flying so I'm hoping it will. I'll give them a call when they open, thanks everyone for you your help.

MrsLettuce Fri 24-May-13 08:26:44

AFAIK if it is CP the spots appear very quickly (my DC still haven't had it).

You found spots yesterday but no new ones today, is that right? Is DD generally well or does she seem a bit off? As a non-medical type, I'd say if there are no new spots by now and no more appear by bedtime then it's not CP. Or at least not yet. Incubation can take up to 21 days...

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 08:42:03

That's right, she doesn't have any other symptoms but she has been REALLY stroppy for the last couple of days but then that could be part and parcel of being an 18mo!

I just spoke to a really lovely receptionist who said all three of her boys started out with pimply looking spots. She has booked us in at lunchtime when they dont do appointments and we are to go straight to the doctors room and bypass the waiting room. So we'll have to see what they say. We are on day 15 out of 21 so even if this isnt CP now we could still get them on holiday sad

starfishmummy Fri 24-May-13 09:54:47

I only had one spot when I had chickenpox!!

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 10:19:49

Fingers crossed if it is CP she only has the two spots!

PeterParkerSays Fri 24-May-13 10:24:25

There was a thread of here recently about a little boy who was hospitalised because of chicken pox - he was lifeless and wouldn't wake up and in hospital for about a fortnight.

They found that that was caused by chicken pox because they found 2 spots on the sole of his foot on admission to hospital. His mother hadn't known why he was so ill and unresponsive.

Oh, but if your DD only has a couple of spots with chickenpox, she might get it again. DS only had a few spots first time round, then a whole load about 18 moths later. If you've only had a mild case, you can get it again. Sorry sad.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 10:29:30

How horrible, poor boy and poor mum sad

I'm hoping the gp will have a good laugh at me and tell me they are pimples and send us on our way.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 12:58:29

It's not CP so we have been given the all clear to fly! Thanks everyone for your help!

MrsLettuce Fri 24-May-13 14:16:22

Yay! Enjoy your holiday smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 24-May-13 14:19:44

Phew!

Your GP practice sounds very sensible OP - you're very lucky!

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 24-May-13 14:46:02

Goodo! grin

sjuperyoni Fri 24-May-13 15:20:29

Aw yey smile dd had cp at 20 months, little blisters then red pimples all over sad was a wee shame.

HootShoot Fri 24-May-13 15:49:32

We are lucky our practice is great :-)

I shall do my best to enjoy barring spag bol suitcase (for anyone who read my other thread)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now