Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Emotional eating

(3 Posts)
PurpleHatNanna Fri 24-May-13 00:11:53

My son and DIL were visiting last week and I saw something that really disturbed me. My eight year old grand-daughter got into a spat with her mum and later I saw her go into the biscuit tin and eat like there was no tomorrow. It isn't the first time I have seen my grand-daughter eat like that. This time it was fairly obvious that she wasn't hungry; we'd just had lunch. I think she was eating because she was angry and upset about the tiff with her mum. I can see she's gained some weight recently and I’m worried that she could become an emotional eater. I can't say anything to my DIL, she'll get defensive and I don’t want to make problems with my son, but what can I do?

I don't want to see my grand-daughter mistaking anger, disappointment etc for a need for sweets. That's a slippery slope and it could compromise her health in the long run.

What to do? Anyone have any ideas?

EllieCook Fri 24-May-13 07:42:48

Hello PHN,

I've done the biscuit-dive myself on more than one occasion and it never made me feel any better. It could get to be a serious problem for your gd if it becomes a habit. I can see why you'd be reluctant to bring it up with her your son and dil.

My sister has had some luck with a book she bought from Amazon recently - it's called "What Colour is Your Happy?" It's a workbook for talking to kids about their emotions, how to recognise them and what to do about them. It might be a little young for an eight year old, but it could be a good way to have a nice, neutral chat about emotions and how we deal with them.

Good luck! I hope it gets better.

Millie2013 Fri 24-May-13 08:55:04

Do you worry that your DIL might get defensive, based on how she's reacted in the past? As a DIL myself, I might feel a bit defensive, having this pointed out, but I'd also be grateful that my MIL was concerned enough to get involved. Even if I didn't admit it to her ;)

Alternatively, a quiet word with your son might be appropriate, then it's up to him how he raises it with his wife (if at all)? I can fully understand your concern and need to do something though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now