Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Exposed baby to smoke now I feel awful!

(15 Posts)
loui32 Wed 22-May-13 14:11:59

Hi, I went round to my neighbours with my five month old baby girl to give her a condolence card. We were there for about 10-15 minutes. The house smelt like smoke and I noticed none of the windows were open and she had just finished smoking a cigarette which was smoking in the astray, at which point I made my excuses and left. I Feel so bad that this has happened and am really upset that I have exposed my baby to cigarette smoke. I keep going over it but obviously i can't change it. We are non smokers and don't know anyone who smokes. I guess I'm just after some reassurance. I KNOW I should have not gone in there in the first place and I WILL NOT be doing it again. Thanks ladies

SchroSawMargeryDaw Wed 22-May-13 14:13:14

hmm Your baby will be fine.

loui32 Wed 22-May-13 14:14:05

p.s my baby seems fine, no adverse effects

loui32 Wed 22-May-13 14:15:25

ment to put "no adverse effects yet"

SchroSawMargeryDaw Wed 22-May-13 14:16:54

I'm sure there wont be any adverse effects.

Smoking in public places was legal until not that long ago and I assume you weren't adversely affected by that before then?

Thurlow Wed 22-May-13 14:17:22

There will have been no more smoke in that room that your baby will get exposed to walking down a high street near someone who is smoking.

Of course it's best to limit your DC's exposure to smoke but unless you keep them in a bubble they are going to get exposed to smoke a hell of a lot during their life.

(Also, they don't break out into hives or sprout an extra head if they've been around smoke - I'm not entirely sure what 'effects' you are expecting to suddenly see? hmm)

Rooble Wed 22-May-13 14:17:33

If it helps reassure you, I grew up with a father who was a smoker, he smoked in the house, in the car, everywhere, all the time - it was the days when it didn't occur to people not to smoke indoors. I have survived to the age of 43 with no ill effects xx

AltogetherAndrews Wed 22-May-13 14:26:19

Long term, continued exposure to smoke is a bad thing. A one off, short visit to a smokey house will do no harm, unless your child has asthma, which you would know about already.

Stop panicking!

Shakey1500 Wed 22-May-13 14:28:37

You're over-reacting. And best you know this now before you set foot out the door again. Honestly, it'll be fine.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 22-May-13 14:31:44

Calm down.

My childhood in the 70's was like the Grand Smoke-Off.
Then everyone smoked (it seemed )and did it everywhere.

I spend my formative years in a fug of fag smoke,as did the vast majority of my friends.

Stop worrying.

somewheresomehow Wed 22-May-13 14:50:08

please get a bloody grip
my dad smoked till he was 80 not filter tips either and ive made it to nearly 50 with no i'll health at all. i used to light em for him as well if he was driving

loui32 Wed 22-May-13 15:08:14

Point taken. Thanks ladies. As you can see I am a bit of a worrier.....I will try to forget about this now and generally take a chill pill :-)

loui32 Wed 22-May-13 15:10:52

Point taken. Thanks ladies. As you can see I am a bit of a worrier.....I will try to forget about this now and generally take a chill pill :-)

EuroShaggleton Wed 22-May-13 15:17:23

Please calm down.

I grew up in a household where my father smoked 30 a day. I would say that it did have some effect on my athletic abilities as a child. 15 minutes' exposure to someone who had smoked recently will not have any ill-effects. I'm very anti-smoking but you are completely over-reacting.

violetlights Thu 23-May-13 22:41:18

I personally think it's very sweet you'd worry about something like that. She's a lucky baby! But, yes, for your own sanity you need to get a grip...! Your baby's fine! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now