Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone had childs tonsil removed and biopsy?

(7 Posts)
Sparkerparker Sun 19-May-13 18:48:54

We are taking DS to have his enlarged tonsil removed in a few weeks which will need to go off for a biopsy. Very concerned about possible lymphoma. Anyone else been through this and know of likelihood of this sort of result? Thanks.

toosoppyforwords Wed 22-May-13 17:25:40

My DS 6 had his tonsils removed 3 years ago. They did send off for a biopsy but my understanding is that they do this as standard for all tonsillectomies and that it is being tested for cjd - and that the results are anonymous. We certainly never received any results as a result of this.
Could be wrong though but that is the information we were given.

Has your doctor indicated they are being biopsyed for any specific reason or is just part of the national cjd screening?

winnybella Wed 22-May-13 17:30:46

DS had his tonsils removed as one was much bigger than the other. After the OP the doctor said that they were both similar in size but one was more hidden and so the false discrepancy. They did send it off to histopathology, just in case. Surgery was totally unnecessary hmm

winnybella Wed 22-May-13 17:31:25

After the OP? I spend way to much time on MN grin

Sparkerparker Fri 24-May-13 10:01:26

Thanks for your replies. We were told that the very large tonsil would need to be tested for lymphoma as that was the main concern for sudden growth. It could be nothing but when you're told there is a chance of something so serious it's a long and terrifying wait. We should get the results back this evening. It's going to be a very long day.

corblimeymadam Mon 27-May-13 23:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparkerparker Tue 28-May-13 21:13:41

Hi belgianbun,
We got the all clear on Friday night - Phew! Am squeezing DS a little harder and hugging a little longer!
Thanks for asking. Sunshine weekend helped. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now