Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Preschool vaccs - how to approach it!

(17 Posts)
tinypumpkin Sun 19-May-13 10:08:18

DD2 is due her vaccs on Tuesday and I am wondering how to approach it. She is a worrier so I don't want to make her too anxious before the day but equally I don't want to spring it on her. Any ideas?

I have bought a special pressie which she can have after (obviously knows nothing about this yet!)

I am sure I will be more stressed than her. I am hoping it is two vaccs rather than three. I am guessing they are now in the arm rather than the leg as it is for babies. Is that right? Would rather know so I can prepare her.

Thanks for any advice smile

larrygrylls Sun 19-May-13 10:19:42

For my son it was two vacs. I told him it would hurt but that if he could count to five then it would be over. He managed fine the first one and even laughed after it. The second one seemed to be bigger and be in for longer. He cried for about 3 mins after it and was then fine and got the treat he had been promised (hot choc in a local café).

Personally, I believe in preparing them for the reality in advance but making reasonably light of it. The reality is that it is much less painful than the knocks and falls your average 3/4 year old gets most days.

milkymocha Sun 19-May-13 10:21:56

Iam making my place here as DS1 is due his in August. Spoke to the nurse yesterday whilst getting DS2s immunisation and she confirmed it would be two needles in their arms!

Also wondering how to approach this. My DS1 has seen his little brother getting immunisations over the past few months so definitely understands the pain aspect confused

larrygrylls Sun 19-May-13 10:23:07

And I also explained to him what it was for. He definitely go the idea that it would stop him getting "bad germs".

MousyMouse Sun 19-May-13 10:34:03

we told dc about a week before what is going to happen and why.
no crying at all.

the nurse asked if dc knows, she said she didn't like it if the dc are clueless because it's cruel and potentially traumatising.

apprenticemum Sun 19-May-13 10:39:54

It's a while since my big one was little but she was so fixated by my leisurly unwrapping of a Kitkat that she barely noticed the jab and the chocolate in her mouth afterwards quenched the cry! Mind you, she didn't get a lot of chocolate at other times so this was a real treat!

tinypumpkin Sun 19-May-13 11:19:02

Thank you smile I agree about not preparing them, I do think it is cruel too. I will mention it later, I was deliberating whether to do it today or tomorrow tbh anyway. I will explain about germs and agree that I think it is important to say it will hurt. I was also trying to rationalise that it will hurt less than knocks etc as I completely agree. It's the anticipation in terms of anxiety that is the most difficult part I think as knocks just happen.

Definitely taking chocolate, inspired idea. smile

I have a blood test so may take DD tomorrow with me as she was quite interested in the last one. Not the same I known but the needle etc and how quick it is might be a good reminder.

monikar Sun 19-May-13 13:00:36

I used to take a few jelly sweets in a small clear plastic bag which I let DD hold in the waiting room, promising that when she had had the jabs she could eat them all in one go (she didn't get a lot of sweets/chocolate so it was a big treat). Then, same as apprenticemum, when the nurse was getting the jabs ready I would make a big do of getting the bag open which I would miraculously achieve just as the jabs were done. Then I let her eat the whole lot, which took her mind off the pain.

nextphase Sun 19-May-13 13:14:48

We had a play medical kit at home, and so had already discussed what the syringe was for, so just continued along that line.
DS1 did take the play syringe for the nurse to use in his arm.....

Travel vaccs, the nurse suggested we did the 3 yr old first, but we did the 1 yr old, as DS1 already knew what was coming. Both were fine with a bribe of chocolate!

We went with yes, it will hurt a little bit, but a lot less than being ill with the things it will prevent sort of line.

tinypumpkin Sun 19-May-13 14:25:49

Thanks Monikar and Next too. We have a syringe so can talk about that too. Good point. The sweets/choc will be sought for the right time!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 19-May-13 14:26:37

Chocolate button bribery every single time.

I only told them a an hour or two before the appt. Be honest, it will hurt a little bit but then it will stop hurting and I will be so proud of you. Sweets /present for straight after. Keep it low key.

I've done the preschool vaccs twice now and both were hardly bothered. DS didn't even cry at all.

Mamf74 Sun 19-May-13 18:28:13

DD had hers a few weeks ago (2 jabs, one in each arm). I have B12 jabs and Depo jabs and DD often comes with me for my "go faster" vitamins. The appointment was made on the same day as the jabs so no prep as such, told her in the waiting room she was having some special "go faster" medicine that would stop her getting some nasty germs that would make her poorly.

Agree with pp the one jab was fine, the second seemed bigger and caused her to wince & well up - no idea if it was bigger, or if she knew what was coming the 2nd time! Tbf she was totally fine, cried more on the way home that her lolly fell off of the stick (though that could have been a delayed reaction).

Pyrrah Mon 20-May-13 23:00:09

Emla cream!

I use it on DD for blood tests and it makes a huge difference.

Put it on an hour before the appointment and bingo.

NoForkNKnife Mon 20-May-13 23:02:54

My DD had hers and didn't even feel them! I had been worried.
She couldn't understand why the nurse was giving her lots of stickers and a certificate for being brave.
She then paraded aroun the house/nursery showing off her arms to everyone.
She certainly wasn't phased.

It'll be fine. grin.

tinypumpkin Thu 23-May-13 10:21:17

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice smile. It was fine, DD was more concerned with the fact that she had a plaster (she hates them!)

jellybeans Thu 23-May-13 10:22:40

With all mine I told them straight they had to have a 'prick' that would hurt but not for long to stop them getting diseases and bad bugs. I told him all the older kids/friends/family members had had it. And of course promised him £5 to spend in toyshop after for being brave. Went perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now