Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

upper lip tie

(7 Posts)
PopGoesTheStoat Sun 19-May-13 10:00:17

sorry if this is the wrong section to post in.
My DD is 8 months and has quite a large upper lip tie. There haven't been any issues breastfeeding but weaning isn't working at all. She just spits everything out instantly.

Is this likely to be related to the lip tie?
I read that getting it cut would need general anaesthetic so am keen to avoid this, but is there a chance she won't be able to eat properly without it being cut?

nextphase Sun 19-May-13 15:06:09

I know its not feeding related, but you might get hold of some of the knowledgeable ladies about if you report is breast and bottle feeding?

Have you tried your daughter on finger food? See if her controlling things is beneficial? I've no ideas if lip ties are related to weaning issues when feeding has gone well - just know that neither of mine could bf well before their tongue tie was divided.

PopGoesTheStoat Sun 19-May-13 17:46:01

yes she holds the spoon herself or does finger foods otherwise she turns away, but even doing it herself she just spits everything out after chewing once or twice but just won't swallow anything! Thank you I will try posting there if get no luck here smile

MsPickle Sun 19-May-13 17:52:35

I think it's quite common for lip and tongue ties to occur together, is she tongue tied? I'm no expert but might be worth looking at?

PopGoesTheStoat Sun 19-May-13 17:57:09

no she's not tongue tied at all, can stick it out miles. Is it unlikely to be the problem without the tongue tie too?

thing1andthing2 Tue 21-May-13 20:59:25

My ds has a significant lip tie and we've had no problems with weaning so I'm not sure it is related. He wasn't much interested in anything before about 9 months, just tasting and spitting out, but now at nearly 11 months he eats a good meal 2-3 times a day. Maybe she's just not that interested in food yet.
Ds's top teeth came through at about 7 months and are widely spaced either side of the the tie. Apparently the tie causes pouches above the gum where milk can collect if they are breast/bottle fed at night so you need to clean their teeth religiously. Apparently also 50% of ties split by accidents before the adult teeth come through.
I learned this all courtesy of mn this week. Thanks mumsnet grin

bluebump Tue 21-May-13 21:01:51

My DS had this, we only realised when his teeth came through with a gap in the middle of them. We had no problems with weaning but the tie was cut/removed by a small operation when he was 15 months old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now