Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heart Rate for 6 year old

(6 Posts)
craziedaisy Sat 18-May-13 21:22:40

Hi today my son visited a science stand at a fete where they were testing peoples heart rate. He had his taken and it was 111. He is 6 years old. The woman doing it said thats a bit high - have you been running around. He had been walking around but not running. Should I be worried what is the norm?

Lifeisontheup Sat 18-May-13 21:25:51

Heart rate for a 6 year old is 80-120 beats per minute so I think he's fine. It's the higher side of normal but still within range.

craziedaisy Sat 18-May-13 21:47:20

Thank you. I am guessing the range is for a resting pulse rate which means a pulse rate taken after sitting still for 10 mintues or so? Also I think he was a little shy so this could all make his rate a little quicker too do you think? Tried taking tonight while he is asleep and I think it is just under 80 so I am hoping all is well

Lifeisontheup Sat 18-May-13 22:04:42

Kids vary so much, he was probably busy rushing around the fete. It's not in a dangerous range at all even if it was taken at rest.

craziedaisy Sat 18-May-13 22:08:42

Thank you again it went upto 135 imediatley after he was asked to do a minute of very fast step ups. Do you think this is normal too. Sorry for more questions.

Lifeisontheup Sun 19-May-13 08:17:28

An adults normal range is 60-100 but if I did a minute of fast step ups I would expect it to be about 120++ so your DS's is quite normal after exercise.
It would be a bit on the high side if it was 135 constantly but it isn't.
BTW my source for ranges is the Joint Royal colleges Ambulance Committee Guidelines which is what we use in the ambulance service.

www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/research/hsri/emergencycare/prehospitalcare/jrcalcstakeholderwebsite/guidelines/age_per_page.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now