Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

orthoptic appointment for 7mo

(6 Posts)
mouseymummy Sat 18-May-13 18:42:43

My 7mo dd2's left eye turns inward, I think its probably a squint or lazy eye.

The hv noticed it when she went to be weighed at 6 mo. I has noticed it wasn't right but thought she would grow out of it.

Dd2s appt has come through this morning.

I'm just wondering if she will be given patches or glasses, will this happen at the first appt or will it be 3 or 4 appts in?

How will they test her sight, with her being so little I'm wondering if they will leave that til later?

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Tia

Barbeasty Sat 18-May-13 20:57:31

They get them to focus on near/ far items and check how the pupils move. So looking at a teddy on a chair the other end of the room, then put a small toy right in front of them.

Not sure about patches etc as they decided the function of DD's eyes was ok.

But we had to go back at age 2.5 so they could test distance vision before discharging her. Except that DD did her shy thing and refused to say a word. So we've had the date through for an appointment at 3.5 (in December which is impressive!)

mouseymummy Sat 18-May-13 21:09:12

Thank you bar.

From what me and dh have done at home her eyes seem fine. But, obviously I'm no expert!

She's happy enough and I'm hoping that they don't want to do patches etc. I don't really want to do anything that will stress her out iyswim.

nicky2512 Sat 18-May-13 21:09:53

I noticed dd squinting a bit from 9 months but doctor didnt so wouldnt refer her. ended up nearly 4 before getting referred and glasses etc. She needed patches. Noticed same in ds at 9 months. Mentioned it when at orthoptics appointment with dd and they arranged for him to be referred to them straight away. Was tested like barbeasty says. Lots of moving little toys about and watching his reactions etc. He got glasses straight away. Was told to try my best to keep them on as much as I could. He accepted them really well, possibly because seeing myself and dd wearing them. Was decided later he wouldnt need patching. You are lucky to catch it early. My own squint wasnt treated until I was 4 and I needed surgery.

ilikesweetpeas Sat 18-May-13 21:14:21

Also they will probably put drops in your child's eyes to dilate the pupils then see if they need glasses by looking into eyes, I think with lights and lenses. My dd had this, wore glasses for about 3 months then started patching part of each day for 3 years. Well worth it! Her vision is much improved, she no longer has a turn and everyone made such a fuss of her lovely patches that she never minded at all. In fact other children at nursery were envious!! Hope you get a good outcome too

mouseymummy Sat 18-May-13 23:05:09

Nicky, I'd noticed it but thought I might be seeing things and hoped she would grow out if it, I'm glad the hv was so on top of things. My hv is pretty good with stuff like this.

Thank you so much nicky and ilike for sharing, just hope dd is as lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now