Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Penicillin - 6yo DS hyper/ aggressive

(6 Posts)
devonsmummy Sat 18-May-13 13:54:43

Started medicine on Tuesday for tonsillitis & been off school tues-thurs.
sent him in on Friday thinking the bad behaviour was because he was bored but he was put in timeout 3 times.
The penny has just dropped ... I think it's the neon coloured penicillin doing it.
Do I carry on giving it to him & knowing I'm in for a few more bad days or stop?

mikkii Sat 18-May-13 13:57:05

Call the out of hours gp or go to walk in centre.

devonsmummy Sat 18-May-13 14:11:58

Just called our out of hours local number - which went through to NHS 111 ?
Waiting for a call back .... 2-3 hours!!!!

podgymumma Mon 20-May-13 23:38:03

The same happened to my son. Doctor said its really common and to just continue with the medicine.

devonsmummy Tue 21-May-13 21:08:50

I was told the opposite
Never heard of a reaction like it & to stop taking it!
Got prescribed a pink version but told not to take unless he gets worse

nocake Tue 21-May-13 21:15:54

Do not stop giving him the antibiotics unless your GP tells you to. It is very important that you finish courses of antibiotics because otherwise you're contributing to the increase in antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. There is a concern among experts, and others, that we're heading towards a time when antibiotics will be useless because so many bacteria will be resistant. If that happens people will die from common infections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now