Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Its measles - Thanks mum

(5 Posts)
lala21 Fri 17-May-13 20:33:33

Dear mum

Thank you for being a retired school nurse who in all your years of experience knew instantly within 5 minutes of checking your grandson he had measles.
On the phone to mum b4 doctors appointment on monday- It sounds like measles you must see the gp

Go to said appointment

1st gp words were: Ow I've never seen a rash like that b4 - its a virus but he needs some antibiotics for his tonsilitus as he has pus at the back of his mouth (sorry TMI) and spots across his mouth ( signs of measles )

Told mum over the phone about spots in his mouth- she says 'Its measles

Up all night rash getting worse go back to c gp a different one
2nd gp- ' is he allergic to antibiotics ( no doc I say, the rash appeared b4) mmmmm its a virus has he had his mmr - Yes doctor-
Well lets keep an eye on him

Mum arrives pronto - gives him the once over, looks in his mouth and yes shouts at me 'Its bloody measles '
Go back the next day see the oldest dinosaur of a doctor going - 'Good Lord he's got measles '
He's had the mmr ( this is not about the debate between having it or not)
However after the week we've had I am grateful for 2 things: my good old fashioned mum that sometimes I take for granted

And that my son had his mmr

So next time I roll my eyes when my mum preaches to me about the latest health warning or symptoms I shall listen a bit more attentively (

Hashtagwhatever Fri 17-May-13 20:38:12

Good ol mum

Ragusa Fri 17-May-13 21:41:06

Ah well done your mum. Makes you wonder how many cases of measles have been missed or falsely attributed to 'a virus' in this current outbreak, given your appalling GP hit rate of one in three.

Hope your DS recovers well, poor old soul.

lala21 Sat 18-May-13 10:11:44

thank you had a better night, rash still quite raw but not such a high temp, few x x x

triballeader Sat 18-May-13 10:38:40

Well done your mum....hope the MMR helps your son to have a milder and more 'comfortable' version of the wretched thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now