Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3mo Has a Tick!!!! What do I do?!

(23 Posts)
CuppaSarah Fri 17-May-13 13:04:03

That's it really. It's deffinatly new cos it's tiny still. I wondered why she was so inconsolable today. Does anyone know how I can remove it? Also does anyone know if it warrents a Dr's trip? I know they can carry nasty illnesses, but she's my pfb so I'm not sure if thats a giant over reaction.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 17-May-13 13:05:58

I would buy one of those tick remover things and get it out.

TheDeadlyDonkey Fri 17-May-13 13:08:12

Contact a local vet and see if you can buy a tick remover - something like this

Ragusa Fri 17-May-13 13:08:37

Awww. This is what it says on the NHS Choices website about ticks:

If you have been bitten by a tick (a small arachnid), remove it as soon as possible to reduce the risk of getting a tick-borne infection, such as Lyme disease (a bacterial infection that causes a rash).

To remove the tick:

•Use tweezers, wear gloves or cover your fingers with tissue to avoid touching the tick.
•Grab the tick as close to the skin as you can, and gently pull straight up until all parts are removed.
•Do not twist or jerk the tick as you are removing it because this may cause the mouthparts to break off and remain in your skin once the tick has been removed.
•Wash your hands with soap and water.
•Using petroleum jelly, alcohol or a lit match to remove a tick does not work.
After the tick has been removed, clean the tick bite with soap and water or an antiseptic, such as an iodine scrub.

Do not scratch the bite because this will cause further swelling and increase the chance of infection. Most tick bites will heal within three weeks. See your GP if you develop:

•a rash
•a temperature of 38C (100.4F) or over (fever)
You may need antibiotics to prevent Lyme disease

A call to NHS 24 wouldn't hurt given her age.

flanbase Fri 17-May-13 13:09:46

needs removing. Is it firmly attached? If not see if you can get it off. Get an old bank card and cut a slot in it & see if this will lift it off. If not then see your gp right away to have it removed safely and completely.

haggisaggis Fri 17-May-13 13:09:57

Get a tick remover from the local vet - we have a little pack that has 2 sizes depending on tick size. If need be use a magnifying glass so you can see to get the hook under the tick to remove it. Really easy. Don'[t bother with doctor unless after a day or so the area where it was looks red and infected. My dc get quite a few (as do the cats) so used to checking them over and removing when necessary.
Though if it's so tiny I don't think that is what is bothering her - I've had a few and you really don't feel them.

flanbase Fri 17-May-13 13:11:29

Have a box with a lid next to you to close the tick in once removed so it wont fall on to you. Wear household gloves and disinfect afterwards.

CuppaSarah Fri 17-May-13 13:13:19

Wow, thankyou all so much for the instant response!! I gave my dad a quick call he's got a tick remover! So this evening I'm going round and he's gonna show me how to remove them.

Thankyou for the information about Lyme disease too. She had jabs on monday, I think she's still under the weather from them. Or picked up a little bug maybe.

CuppaSarah Fri 17-May-13 13:15:03

Or rather picked up two little bugs....

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 17-May-13 13:16:25

If you put Vaseline over it it should come off on its own

CuppaSarah Fri 17-May-13 13:18:50

I'll pop vaseline on it till I go round dads! If I don't do something I'll go mad looking at it

lougle Fri 17-May-13 13:21:21

The NHS site is interesting, because I've always been told to twist the tick anti-clockwise. They screw their way into the flesh.

All you need is a pair of tweezers and a steady hand. Grasp the body gently and firmly, then unwind it anti-clockwise. It will come out.

You will be able to see the legs as it unwinds and then the head.

TheDeadlyDonkey Fri 17-May-13 13:24:33

Nooooo! Don't put Vaseline on it!
The shock of suffocation can cause the tick to empty its stomach contents and make infection more likely.

kelda Fri 17-May-13 13:25:59

Where do you think she got the tick from? Do you have any pets? Or have you been to any woodland/grassland recently?

flanbase Fri 17-May-13 13:28:20

If it's not well attached it'll be easier to remove now. I wouldn't wait until this evening as it'll be stronger attached then (if not firmly attached now iyswim)

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 17-May-13 13:33:53

No no no vaseline! Or anything else!

Ragusa has given correct info.

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 17-May-13 13:35:18

And yes to remove asap.

CuppaSarah Fri 17-May-13 13:35:29

I went to find vaseline but we didn't have any, so we're ok. In all honestly I'm clueless as to how she got it. She wore short sleeves to baby group today and it is in a wooded area. Normally her arms are covered so it's the only thing I can think of. My Dads told me this year is particulary bad for ticks becuase they love the damp weather, he's a pest controller so knows a bit about them. Which is why I think I'll let him remove it, he's done it a million times before. Thank you all so much for all this advice. I feel bad I'm too wimpy to give it a go.

HormonalHousewife Fri 17-May-13 13:40:14

my vet suggested drawing circles in a clockwise direction with your finger around the tick. apparantely it gets dizzy and falls off confused

I've toughened up considerably now and am quite happy to pull the buggers out with designated pair of tweezers

KingRollo Fri 17-May-13 13:58:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 17-May-13 14:02:46

She's picked it up in the wooded area; ticks love such places and grasslands.

DO not cover it or put vaseline on it; the tick will regurgitate its stomach contents and that makes infection more likely.

It needs to be removed asap.

curryeater Fri 17-May-13 14:05:42

Do it now. Maybe your practice nurse can do it for you straight away, she will probably have a thingy if there are woods near you.

looseleaf Fri 17-May-13 15:35:59

I agree don't wait til this evening to get it properly removed- can you do it properly sooner? Our DD got Lyme disease and was on intensive treatment for 7 months, we were very unlucky and not all ticks carry it but the tiny deer ticks are the ones to be wary of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now