Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is this? Stomach Bug? Virus? And what do I do?!

(8 Posts)
TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Fri 17-May-13 12:44:12

Des is 20 months. On Monday he had a cough and rattly chest which quickly subsidded, turning into d and v. Not much of a temperature, 37.5 max. We went to the doctors before the d and v started, she said it was a 'virus' and just one if those things.

So Tuesday was mainly d and v, with small snacks, milk and water. He was sleepy but actually in quite good spirits. Wednesday and Thursday he was lethargic, no vomiting but very peculiar poo (sorry tmi) consistence of double cream and light yellow and masses of it. He bared ate for these 48 hrs and its hard getting him to drink.

Today he has started to eat - cornflakes, blueberries, a few snacks - but is still lethargic and very sleepy. But in between bouts of sleep and poo he's in fairly good spirits.

So... Wwyd? Doctors again? Or ride it out? He's lost a noticeable amount of weight. Does a bug last this long?

Thanks for reading, I'm really quite upset and worried by it all.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Fri 17-May-13 12:45:23

Sorry for typos. Silly phone.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 17-May-13 12:50:29

Doctor again I think.

I really hope your baby is actually called Des...

fluffyanimal Fri 17-May-13 12:51:26

My DS had an unspecified stomach bug that lasted for two weeks, they can last that long. Avoid dairy and stick to plain foods - they usually say BRAT - bananas, rice, apples, toast - for stomach upsets. Make sure he drinks plenty. He will be lethargic and sleepy if not much food is going in/staying in, but so long as you can rouse him when you need to and so long as he is drinking plenty, it should be OK. You could also try the Dioralyte sachets from the pharmacist if you think he would drink them (mine never do!). But of course go back to the GP if you are worried. There aren't many treatments for stomach bugs, but they will at least try to put your mind at rest and advise how to keep him comfy.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Fri 17-May-13 12:55:41

Thanks! Des! grin

I tried Dioralyte a hour or so ago... He threw it up. Then I tasted it (the drink not the vom!) and I don't blame him. It's ridiculously strong flavoured. I think I'll see the doctor again if only for peace of mind. I hate seeing him so poorly.

2 weeks fluffy?! How did you get through it?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 17-May-13 19:16:30

How is he?

BeaWheesht Fri 17-May-13 22:49:25

When we had noro dd started with it and although the worst was over in 2 days it lasted for about 10 days and ds was the same. Adults got over it quickly. Keep going with the fluids - what about ice lollies?

MrsRogerSterling Sun 19-May-13 21:10:33

Dd who is 21 months had a sickness bug with poo as you describe, lost weight, lethargic some days and perky others, this was back in March. It lasted for 3 weeks, we saw the dr who suspected Rotavirus as apparently it can last that long and just has to run it's course. It was grim and as I am a lone parent I had to take her out on the school run etc, the amount of times I had to take the covers off the carseat as she had been sick on them was ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now