Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler has been ill. Won't eat. How long do we allow this to continue?

(16 Posts)
Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 11:07:02

He's two and had gastroenteritis type bug. We're onto day three. Spewed once, lots of diarrhoea. Temp now gone. He's hardly eaten a thing but he seems quite weak today. Not sure what to do as we've been enduring we get fluids into him with a syringe but obv can't force feed food. I know it's normal for them to liar thier appetite... But for how long?

Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 11:08:09

* ensuring

* lose their

Damn iPhone.

SolomanDaisy Fri 17-May-13 11:09:05

My DS once ate very little for two weeks when he wasn't well! He is still bfeeding though, so although he lost a fair bit of weight I wasn't too worried. What liquids are you giving him? I think if you are giving him a liquid which has calories then I wouldn't worry yet.

JoyceDivision Fri 17-May-13 11:10:19

Lack of appetite wouldn't concern me, but if your dc isn't willingly taking ample fluids and you are having to force with a syringe to get small amounts in, then that would worry me (we had this years ago with dd, she had a bacterial infection and was in hospital for a week to be monitored)

Is your dc weeing same or less?If less / nappies are quite dry I would adviseyou to get urgent app with gp or go to a walkincentre

Hopefully nothing but these are symptons I wouldn't wait too long with

Get well soon miniwinetime!

amazingmumof6 Fri 17-May-13 11:17:48

totally normal.

digestion uses up loads of enegry so when you're ill you stop eating as your body needs all the energy to combat illness.

as long as he gets lots of fluids he'll be okay, but you should ask gp or pharmacist for something similar to Diarolyte - something that contains minerals and sugars to replace what's lost through vomitting (sorry can't check right now)

you should take him to A&E if he can't keep any liquids down - risk of dehydration is a serious problem!

hope he gets better soon. smile

amazingmumof6 Fri 17-May-13 11:24:18

I meant not eating is normal when ill- and until the bugs cleated out eating food would prolong the problem, so best not to.

just re-read and I've realized he's been having a runny bottom and only sips of liquid - so I would definitely take him to A & E.
my Ds4 had similar once, he was very close to being put on a drip!

Sirzy Fri 17-May-13 12:57:06

As long as he isn't dehydrated and you are getting fluids into him I wouldn't worryy - do keep a close eye on his fluid intake though.

DS has gone a week with not eating anything and the hospital weren't worried (he was an inpatient at the time) as he was drinking.

BabyRuSh Fri 17-May-13 12:59:41

He needs lots of fluids. I have to actively encourage ds to drink and typically aim to get him to drink around 3x9oz of fluid at least. I reverted to bottles when he was last ill as that was the only way oli could get him to drink milk.

CarpeVinum Fri 17-May-13 13:02:40

not very.

My former toddler did the same thing, went into a state of keytosis had a "going blue" style convultion and ended up in hospital for a week.

Personally, having had my psyche scarred by that, I'd seek medical advice (and the sticks you get them to pee on to check their levels) sooner rather than later.

Try some flat coke if they'll take it. Worst case scenario (not sure if you can get these where you are) there are suppositories that will sort of keytosis from t'other end.

Bit I'd still see if the quack has any other ideas first.

amazingmumof6 Fri 17-May-13 13:12:18

problem is that even if he had lots of fluids but had diarrhoea and/or vomiting he could still be in danger of getting dehydrated and would need to be seen by a pediatrician to determine further action/treatment.

but OP says he only has sips of fluids so what comes out is a much greater volume than what goes in - it worries me tbh and I would take him asap, at his age his condition/dehydration can worsen rapidly. I wouldn't wait anymore, it's day 3.

Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 13:56:01

Seeing the doctor in a bit. I've managed (after a massive tantrum) to get him to have the diarolyte with 200ml of water. Nappy before last was massive diahorrea poo but with wee too. Last or dry but hadn't been that long after first. We're giving him 40ml water every hour via syringe. I hate this as he has been in hospital before with dehydration following stomach bug. Was horrendous...

Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 13:56:49

* last one

Anyone know how much the should be drinking throughout the day?

amazingmumof6 Fri 17-May-13 14:11:47

I found this for now :

"According to the Institute of Medicine’s Dietary Reference Intakes for Electrolytes and Water, the Adequate Intake (AI) for water for children aged 1 to 3 is 1.3 liters per day; that’s about 44 fluid ounces, or the equivalent of 5-1/2 8 ounce cups of water. Children can certainly drink plain water throughout the day to meet their daily fluid needs, but they’ll also get water by consuming other healthful beverages including milk and 100 percent fruit juice. About 20 percent of childrens’ daily water intake typically comes from foods that have a lot of moisture/water content including juicy fruits (such as watermelon), vegetables, cooked grains, and soups.

Just as for all of us, your child’s daily water needs will increase when the weather is warm or hot, and/or when your child is more physically active than usual. If your child’s urine is close to clear in color, that means he or she is likely adequately hydrated; if the urine appears concentrated or yellow in color, that may mean he or she needs to drink a bit more to meet his or her daily needs."

Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 19:16:09

Okay. So nurse practitioner sent us home saying he's not dehydrated (yet) and not to worry about the loss of appetite. Joy of joys my five week old has it now. I'm actually beside myself. I've been to A & E with her and just been given vague advice about wet nappies. I could curl up and cry.

SolomanDaisy Fri 17-May-13 19:39:24

Oh, that is grim. Coincidentally, since I posted this morning my nearly 2 year-old has developed d and v and it's grim with one, let alone two to deal with. Is the little one still feeding?

Winetime1981 Fri 17-May-13 20:37:39

Yes she is but then throwing some of them up. Honestly I'm so stressed. She's still having wet nappies - he isn't. Jesus I hate them being ill.

Is your toddler poohing for England Solomon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now