Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

18 month old gunky eye

(12 Posts)
LittleMonster100 Wed 15-May-13 18:28:21

Dd has a cold and a bad gunky eye (yellowy greeny colour). Other than a runny nose and gunky eye she seems fine.

I have eye drops from the chemist but should I take her doctors? The eye is not irritated or swollen but is producing alot of gunk.

LittleMonster100 Wed 15-May-13 19:14:29

Bump

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 15-May-13 21:07:11

No I wouldn't.

Clean the eye with cotton wool and water. Wash your hands and use separate towels. Keep using eye drops, it'll clear up. The GP would only give you the same drops. Should take a few days to clear.

juneau Wed 15-May-13 21:11:41

Sounds like conjunctivitis. You can bathe the eye with a cotton wool pad dipped in warm water with a drop of baby shampoo in it, or you can go to the chemist and get some anti-bacterial drops (which, if your DC is anything like mine, she'll refuse to co-operate with or hold still while you're trying to drop them in). Your call. They both work IME.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 15-May-13 21:26:42

My local pharmacy has a scheme where they treat things such as conjunctivitis without you having to go to the GP. Have they given you chloramphenicol eye drops? As that's what the GP would give.

LittleMonster100 Wed 15-May-13 22:11:45

The gp (last time she had this) told me to just get eye drops over the counter. The chemist reccommend soothing dry eye drops so used that before bed tonight.

juneau isnt conjunctivitus when the eye is pink or red? Her eye isnt at all not even swollen but is producing lots of green gunk. This always seems to be related to a bad cold but worried it could be conjunctivitus in which case would she need medicated drops?

Jayne266 Wed 15-May-13 22:23:10

Little monster my DS had the same thing it was confirmed at conjunctivitis I would make fresh cotton balls up to clean the eyes with cooled boiled water and head on fucithalmic (which didn't
Work) then went onto the drops and it got so much better within 3 days.

This is now my 3rd time of dealing with it. hmm

Jayne266 Wed 15-May-13 22:24:46

Sorry for the typing errors I am on my phone holding my DS.

JollyOrangeGiant Wed 15-May-13 22:24:57

DS had this with his recent cold. I just assumed it was a side effect of the cold, but now I have conjunctivitis and I obviously caught it from DS sad

barleysugar Wed 15-May-13 22:27:35

It's,only Conjunctivitis if the whites of the eyes become red and inflamed. Green eye gunk is just what travels up from the nose during a cold. It's self limiting and will clear up without drops.

A nice warm flannel dipped in diluted baby shampoo and water will be very soothing and remove the goo.

JollyOrangeGiant Wed 15-May-13 22:36:13

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Conjunctivitis-infective/Pages/Introduction.aspx

NHS page on conjunctivitis smile

LittleMonster100 Thu 16-May-13 18:33:37

Thank you barley the whites of her eyes are white and not red, and the gunk is now lessening, it's still green and being produced but not as bad as yesterday. Her cold is going away as well.

What can I do to help prevent this from happening? Is it to do with her sinus'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now