Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10yr Old - Acne Like Itchy Rash On Chin, Spreading to Nose ???

(17 Posts)
Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 09:28:10

Can anyone offer any advice/ideas on this please...

My DD who usually has beautifully clear skin started this last few days with a couple of spots in her chin - before I'd actually seen the first 2 (bad week with migraine eyes) she says she had "squeezed" them, so I'm not actually sure how the first 2 looked to begin with. She has been plagued with health problems recently & is very run down as a result, so I initially put it down to that, but I'm not so sure now.

The rash now seems to be spreading & she says it is itchy, she has a few more smaller ones on her chin, some at side if her mouth & a couple at the corners of her nose. They are red & sore looking & her skin is starting to look quite "crusty" the first one worries me as is quite big & has a bit of a "hole" in the centre.

I've so far treat it as spots, dabbing with lavender oil & cleaning the big one with surgical spirit as I'm worried about it looking a bit infected. She is very embarrassed by it & is insisting I put cover up cream on it for school, which I'm not too happy to do, but I can see she is very embarrassed & she has had some problems this last couple of weeks with bullying by class queen bee, so I can see that she's not wanting to give this girl any more ammo, so have reluctantly gone along with this, but looking at it this morning, there is more of it & I'm now concerned that it might be something I should be worrying more about & getting seen by our GP??

I asked this morning if any of her friends have anything similar & she has told me that a couple of them has spots a bit like this, but not on the chin, she said one boy she hangs it with a lot has a spotty rash on his cheek, another classmate a few around their mouth - she has in the last few weeks had a bad flare up of a health condition (Ehlers Danlos) which hit her stomach hard & I believe what could also be abdominal migraine, though no diagnosis for that, just my hunch based on her always getting this other type of stomach trouble & headache when I get migraine.

she was picking up a bit, but then seems to have picked up a bit of a virus, generally feeling a bit unwell, dizzy, run down, bit of a sore throat, sniffles & a bit feverish etc

Does anyone have any ideas ???

TIA

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 09:29:12

Could it be Impetigo?

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 09:30:12

Picture

Sounds like impetigo to me too

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 09:33:28

Definitely go to the GP, Impetigo is very fast spreading and contagious, so best to go even to rule it out. DS1 had it and it looked like someone had stubbed out a cigarette on his arm. sad

Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 09:34:12

Thanks sparkling - yes, that does look like the spots sad - off to look it up for other symptoms now - thank you

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 09:35:01

It's easily treatable Rock, just the quicker the better.

ShowOfHands Wed 15-May-13 09:40:20

Sounds exactly like impetigo. Skin infection featuring itchy spots and sores, usually located around the mouth and nose and they go crusty after a couple of days. It's v contagious so it might be worth you letting the other parents of the dc with symptoms know.

If it's the first time she's had it, I think they recommend the GP but it's 'just' a skin infection and nothing to worry yourself about. Sounds like she's also run down on top of that. Poor girl. Is she at school today then?

Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 09:49:18

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling pretty rubbish now as yes I have sent her to school & reading the NHS site is says keep them home blush she missed a few days last week, so she's keen not to miss more & thankfully her school are great with looking out for her other health problems & encourage them to go in with minors ailments anyway. I am picking her up for lunch though, she's been needed a break from the noise of school so I've been doing that this week - going to give the school a ring & see what they say

Thanks everyone - gawd, can't believe its now something else, poor might, its been relentless of late sad

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 09:54:19

See if you cab get a GP appointment today. Don't feel rubbish-it will all be sorted. x

Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 10:03:23

I've spoken with the school & they have noticed it but aren't too concerned ATM, lady I spoke with was more concerned that she is obviously so embarrassed by it sad , she said she can't rule it out as been early safe impetigo, but its not looking too much like it to her yet, so not to worry, keep her at school & see GP later - which we will - though can't get an appointment - if I ring after 2 they will have to give me an emergency one

Thanks again

Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 10:03:55

Early stage - bloody autocorrect

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 10:04:27

That's great. smile By this evening you will feel so much better about it. x

Rockinhippy Wed 15-May-13 10:05:19

smile

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-13 17:58:22

Any luck with the appointment Rockin?

Rockinhippy Thu 16-May-13 13:56:21

Hi Sparkling

YES - saw a GP last night & it is definitely Impetigo sad - she's thoroughly miserable, poor mite & home for a few days & has been giving me hell, though having managed to get my hand on some antihistamine that she could take this morning her mood has improved a lot & she's apologised smile - she's intolerant to artificial sweeteners & benzoate preservatives & that was all I could get in the suprmarket last night.

Turns out she has a few inside her pants too - do they all stick there hands down there all the time - lol - she was embarrassed as hell about those ones & was refusing to let me see if she had anymore anywhere at all as a result, moaned about he cream I put on er face etc etc - a quick image search on google soon changed her mind - lol

Looks like we've caught it early though - thank you all smile - so the cream seems to be working quickly too - she still won't leave the house though, not even with the offer of a cinema trip sad

In a way I'm actually quite glad to be keeping her home for a few days, I wouldn't have chosen to keep her off, as she's missed quite a it of school recently with stomach trouble, but she's been so run down & EDS playing up too. Our GP said that she didn't think she had enough of the rash to have the fever type symptoms, but I'm not so sure, I could tick all the other symptoms with her for this last week or so, which seems to fit time wise too & schools really been just been to much for her, so in a weird way I'm glad to have a good reason to let her rest up - even if she is having me waiting on her hand & foot - lol

Sparklingbrook Thu 16-May-13 13:59:35

That's great to get the diagnosis. If DS1 was anything to go by she will be fine by Monday if not before. You must be relieved.

Sounds like she could do with a long weekend. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now