Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2.6yo has a very itchy rash

(12 Posts)
lollipoppi Tue 14-May-13 16:16:10

Hello
My DS developed a rash at the top of his arms in Saturday morning, by Saturday night his whole upper body was covered in it and was scratching like mad making it bleed.

The rash looks like nettle stings or a heat rash

I took him to the doctor (I have little faith in this doctor due to past experience) who said he had had an allergic reaction to something.

But the rash is still there and it is still bothering him, he is very itchy and is covered in scratches now

Any suggestions?

lollipoppi Tue 14-May-13 16:18:44

Should also add I've not change any washing powder/bath bubbles ect x

RosinaCopper Tue 14-May-13 16:28:10

How very odd - my 2y10m ds had exactly the same at the weekend. Said his tummy hurt then was sick once on Friday, had high temp (39.5 ish) and a flat rash on his body on Friday night and woke up with a bumpy red rash all over on Saturday. He has scratched himself to shreds too - it looks like he's been dragged through a prickly bush.

It had gone by Mondya and he's not so itchy now, but I kept giving him piriton to try to help. The Dr I saw said it looked like an allergic rash, but, like you, there jas been nothing new in his diet or environment. Dr diagnosed tonsilitis while we were there.

Hop your lo feels better soon.

RosinaCopper Tue 14-May-13 16:28:56

Monday and has fgs!

lollipoppi Tue 14-May-13 16:44:57

Sounds very similar!!
Have you got a piriton cream?

Silly doc told me to get anthisan (sp?). Which I did, but when I got home it says do not use on broken skin (areas are bleeding as he has been scratching) also do not use on large areas of skin (it's his whole upper body) and not to use if child has eczema ( which he does)!!

RosinaCopper Tue 14-May-13 16:54:17

I used piriton medicine, but luckily that particular ds is very good at taking medicine, whatever it tastes like!

The Dr I saw said to use calamine lotion on the rash, but I've read on here before that calamine aqueous cream is better, because calamine lotion tends to dry out the skin which can make it itchy! SO , I got some of that for his main rash and scratches. I put loads of sudocrem on the scratches that he managed to do under his nappy. And finally, I have Fucidin H for lick eczema for him and I put that on the scratches that looked the deepst / widest. It does seem to be getting better but my goodness, he made a real mess of himself and looked a fright on Saturday morning when he got up - he'd gone to bed in just a sleevless vest because he was so hot, so had easy access to skin to scratch!

Weegiemum Tue 14-May-13 16:56:41

Could it be rubella (the mmr isn't a total deterrent) as it sounds like my dd1 when she had it. If so, go to the doc, not for help but they inform people about a "notifiable disease" which helps in planning.

lollipoppi Tue 14-May-13 18:38:30

Weegie, I hope not! The rash doesn't look much like the rubella rash.

Off to the late night chemist to stock up then!! X

lollipoppi Wed 15-May-13 08:27:30

Arggghhh rash looks worse this morning :-(
It's just in his arms and neck now, really baffled by this, I'm sure it's not an allergic reaction surely it would have gone by now?

Should I be a neurotic mum and take him back to the docs!?

RosinaCopper Wed 15-May-13 22:40:49

How's your ds this evening, lollipoppi?

lollipoppi Thu 16-May-13 09:21:58

His rash is improving, and less itchy! How's your DS now?
Very oddly though, I now seem to have come out in what looks like chicken pox!!!???

RosinaCopper Fri 17-May-13 18:53:17

My ds is completely recovered, thanks. A friend with a dd of a similar age said her dd has also had the same thing, but her rash comes and goes. She was also told it was allergic, check washing powder etc.

It must just be something that's about at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now