Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Questions re: teeth removal before braces?

(5 Posts)
Lottie4 Tue 14-May-13 14:17:37

My daughter saw the orthodonist yesterday who said she needed to have two teeth removed before having her braces.

Her friends, who've had the same thing done at school, have told her it's really painful, things like you feel a sharp pain when they pull it out, dentist couldn't get them out and could feel each one coming out. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Also, one Mum has told me she had to pay £80 for each tooth. Is this true? We're on NHS and it's not just for cosmetic reasons, she can't put her lips together and as the teeth are resting on the lips, she constantly gets sores.

bruffin Tue 14-May-13 14:38:14

My DD had 3 out a few weeks back and she was fine didnt complain about anything after. DDs brace isnt cosmetic and didnt pay anything for the extractions. My dd will have to have another out because it is impacted and hasnt come through, but that will be done at the hospital. She has chosen to be put under for that.

She had her brace since august and they tried to sort it all out without extractions but there wasnt enough room, the difference since she had the extractions has been amazing.

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-May-13 14:42:30

Ds1 had two teeth out with a local anaesthetic last year. He said he didn't feel anything (and he can be a right drama queen). We didn't pay anything.

He still claims the moulds for the braces were worse.

HairyPotter Tue 14-May-13 14:47:46

Dd1 had 4 out before her braces were fitted. She is a complete drama llama and made a fuss for weeks leading up to it. The actual procedure was a doodle compared to it. She felt the needle going in a little but when the teeth came out she didn't feel a thing. The dentist did 2 one week and 2 the following week. I was dreading the second visit before we even went for the first, but she went in quite happily.

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-May-13 14:48:41

Sounds like DS1 Hairy. He got himself in a state then he was all 'Oh, is that it'? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now