Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Plagiocephaly and torticollis

(9 Posts)
Mixxy Tue 14-May-13 01:58:09

My 11 week old son has been diagnosed with plagiocephaly caused by torticollis. He is starting occupational therapy twice a week from Wednesday. I have lots of exercises and positioning to do with him at home. Does anybody have any experience in this situation? How long will it take to correct? I feel terrible posting about this when I see threads with kids fighting cancer in the title...

mindingalongtime Tue 14-May-13 12:57:55

I looked after a baby with these conditions and did physio with her every day. Her face changed a lot, so keep up with it, it seems hard at the time. I did also comment about her legs too, and we found out subsequently she had a dislocated hip and a partially dislocated hip, so she was in hip spica too, then a harness.

She is a normal little two year old, running around everywhere, and her hair hides the remaining misshape.

Good luck - I couldn't not leave a comment as you'd had no answers.

Mixxy Tue 14-May-13 19:37:25

Thanks for your reply, I found it useful. The OT says she saw no sign of anything wrong with his hips, but I think his head is quite mis-shapen and I think I see it affecting his face. I know his recovery will depend on the work I can get done at home. But to be honest, I don't hold much hope. Hope he likes long hair, because a short-back-and sides doesn't seem to be in his future.

mindingalongtime Wed 15-May-13 09:34:05

The OT and physio said there was nothing wrong with this little girls's hips on more than one occasion, and that the childminder was not an expert hmmso parents went to GP, who referred them to the hospital and week later she had an op!

mindingalongtime Wed 15-May-13 09:37:44

Also, this little girls's face, in her mother's words, "was on the side of her head!" True, it was bad, but it is amazing how it can change. Are you going back to work? I supported the family a lot through this and was really happy to do so.

Mixxy Wed 15-May-13 20:52:24

I've delayed returning to work to deal with this. The OT said she saw improvement today in his alignment and showed me more moves. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is. His head is mis-shapen but the OT assures me that it will change quite rapidly, and congratulated me on getting him into OT so early. He goes back Friday. I'll keep you posted on his progress, if you'd like.

And good looking out, sharp-eyed child minder. Professionals can be so rude. Hey! I spend all day looking and interacting with this kid, I think I'll know if something is wrong!

mindingalongtime Thu 16-May-13 10:58:32

Hi, happy for you to pm me if you wish, where are you? ( I don't want to identify myself!)

He will change quite quickly, their bones are so soft and mouldable and by the time he is a year, has hair and a lovely little personality and character, you won't notice anything!

Mixxy Thu 16-May-13 23:38:38

I'm in NYC. We have him at one of the top hospitals in the US.

mindingalongtime Fri 17-May-13 09:13:33

Oh! My aunt lives on Park and 52nd, may be one day a mumsnet meet in NYC! Keep in touch and let me know how he gets on it sounds as though he is doing well, take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now