Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coldsore / 9 week old

(5 Posts)
JessieEssex Mon 13-May-13 07:52:28

I have just come out with my first cold sore in a couple of years - hopefully I have caught it early enough, but am worried about the risk to my 9 week old DD. I know the risk to very young babies is very serious, but is DD still in danger?
I wont be kissing her (hmm) and will be v careful about hygiene but does anyone know if the risk is still as serious as with a tiny baby?
Thanks...

Alexa007 Mon 13-May-13 14:28:58

Hi - I read on the baby centre site that if u are a cold sore virus carrier (I am & I had the same question) that your baby will have 6 months post birth immunity. As long as this isn't your first attack. But obviously don't kiss her. I had same problem last week and I have an 8 wk old DD.

BreasticlesNTesticles Mon 13-May-13 14:29:52

Get a compeed patch, it will seal the coldsore and stop the germs spreading. bUt your baby will have some immunity.

JessieEssex Mon 13-May-13 18:54:42

Thanks both. I am a carrier, so I'm pleased to hear that this should protect her (if I'm sensible as well). DD1 just got upset because I didn't give her a proper goodnight kiss... hmm

LegoAcupuncture Mon 13-May-13 18:56:59

I got cold sores within the first week of all three of mine being born.

As long as you resist don't cover her in kisses and try not to touch your face before/during holding her she should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now