Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler with persistent chesty cough

(3 Posts)
Ilovestackingcups Sat 11-May-13 19:25:22

Just looking for some advice really.

17mo DD has a horrid cough. She hacks from deep in her chest, so strongly that it is waking her up several times a night, as well as making her miserable through the day. Of course, it had to get bad at the weekend when our village pharmacy and GP are closed, so I haven't been able to go there for advice.

Has anyone else had recent experience of this, and what did you use to help settle the wee one (and get a good night yourselves)? I just don't know what remedies I can try at her age; all my usual stuff seems to be recommended for two year olds and up.

All help much appreciated! smile

Aldobaggins Sat 11-May-13 21:13:02

Perhaps a steamy atmosphere? Sit in the bathroom with the hot water running and the door closed. They recommend this for croup.

Kt1991 Wed 15-May-13 20:51:28

My son is exactly the same, he is just over 2, and this has been going on for as long as I can remember. Several usless trips back and forth to the docs, my MIL took him this week, and they have finally said they think he has asthma. To start with all we got told to give him was calpol, with ibuprofen in. It didn’t really do anything for him though. I’m not too sure what else you can really give little ones I’m afraid. I’d suggest taking her to docs when you can get an appointment if your at all worried like I was, and make sure they do a thorough check. We have been given an inhaler for him 2 take 4X a day, started taking it today but is going to take a while for him to get the hang of it I think. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: